Indicator that Sand Filter needs to be cleaned?

MIpoolAL

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2017
Clarkston,MI
I've been fighting slow algae growth all summer. I SLAM, pass. ( crystal clear, pass oclt, CC 0)

I'm a BBB believer, typical shock method is 10% pool shock from ACE hardware. (NaOCL 10%). Bought home last May, learned of TFP quickly.

I Maintain FC in range, few days later the dead algae starts appearing. In corners, on the steps, on the sloped areas of the liner. I typically keep the FC in range to the CYA Chart testing daily.

Last night noticed a hazy green tinge and started SLAM:

FC: 24
CC: 0
pH: (was 7.2 last checked before adding bleach, adjusted 7/9)
CH: 350
CYA: 50-55
Temp: 82.

This morning, FC had dropped to 18, brought back up, and covered with the solar cover hoping to avoid sunlight loss (7:30). Tested after work (4:30) FC: 24, CC:0 and cloudy green. This has been on and off for June-July. I slam, i get things looking great. I maintain. A week to ten days go by, and im back to needing to slam.

Today was looking around the TFP history and noticed some discussions about needing to clean a sand filter with SLAM issues.

I decided to open the top of my Hayward 200 sand filter. Instantly noticed some green, and could wipe my finger on the slime. UGH !! No wonder!

My question is: How often do you TFP-ers clean out your sand filter? What tells you it needs to be done?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.