Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are planning for a new inground vinyl liner SWG pool with automatic cover. My PB suggested an in-wall ladder for deep end so easy to open and close cover. I am concerned about the drilling of holes in my liner when installing the in-wall ladder. Should I be concerned? Those who have in wall ladders, do you have regrets?

Hey michaela !! I think you are thinking right, but not of the right thing. The in wall ladders I’ve seen are like the plastic stairs and are cut into the wall. He are 2 examples and he is probably doing something similar (but of course ask to make sure !!). FDF3689B-C09A-4EC4-A8E9-97E94C3A3728.jpeg01A274A4-3E3B-4E89-A355-713C028E2E0B.jpeg

Hey michaela !! I think you are thinking right, but not of the right thing. The in wall ladders I’ve seen are like the plastic stairs and are cut into the wall. He are 2 examples and he is probably doing something similar (but of course ask to make sure !!). View attachment 174822View attachment 174823
Yes that is the ladder I'm thinking of! When I watched a YouTube video, I thought they drilled holes into liner in order to mount it to wall?...Am I mistaken? Thank you!

I thought they drilled holes into liner in order to mount it to wall?...Am I mistaken? Thank you
I thought there was a piece missing in the shell that the contraption fits into like traditional stairs. The ladder gets bolted to the wall like stairs and then the liner gets cut in on the sides with similar trim pieces over the bolts like stairs would. If this is right then the holes are under the liner and not through it.
But I could easily be mistaken myself. @jimmythegreek would know.

Last edited:
They install just like stair trim as newdude pointed out. They are bolted to the steel or polymer panels and are permanent, they are a piece of the pool wall structure. The trim sandwiches the liner for a seal. Just like anything else in the pool there are holes. Returns, skimmers, etc all work the same way with penetrations. No issue when done right

Reactions: Newdude
Yup, my ladder is just like most steel ladders except instead of being stationary mine has a hinge fitting into the cement decking. This allows us to fold the ladder back out of the pool when we close the pool cover. It uses large pin bolt thingies that hold the ladder secure in either position (the ladder up out of the water, or down into the water)

This is what I have- Interfab Hinge Swimming Pool Kit Ladder | Pool Warehouse

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.