Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
We live in Florida, have a SWG, and lots of rain (read drain). Following the rules here, I rarely need to add chlorine, and have no problem with high calcium levels due to lots of rain/drain. Big jugs of chlorine just sit and go bad. I just ordered and received a 24 pack of one-pound cal-hypo shock, which is shelf-stable and will sit at the ready for those times when something gets a little off and I have to do a "mini-slam." That's when the SWG starts to not "keep up" but my chlorine hasn't gotten where I need to SLAM.
I'm not recommending cal-hypo for every day chlorination, if you don't have a SWG, or if you have an issue with high calcium. If we ever have to do a real SLAM, I'll go and lug jugs of chlorine home to do it. But for the occasional boost, this is working well for us.

The TFP guidelines are as simple as can be.

1). Know your baseline from a reliable test
2). Know what is in whatever you are adding
3). Know exactly what it will do. (Care of an extensive collective knowledge base here)

If you check off all those parameters. Cal-hypo or pucks or whatever..... they all have a place and can be useful for certain members at certain times. Full time use without knowing and blindly using any of them, not so much. (y)

Reactions: poolnoobgrandma
We live in Florida, have a SWG, and lots of rain (read drain). Following the rules here, I rarely need to add chlorine, and have no problem with high calcium levels due to lots of rain/drain. Big jugs of chlorine just sit and go bad. I just ordered and received a 24 pack of one-pound cal-hypo shock, which is shelf-stable and will sit at the ready for those times when something gets a little off and I have to do a "mini-slam." That's when the SWG starts to not "keep up" but my chlorine hasn't gotten where I need to SLAM.
I'm not recommending cal-hypo for every day chlorination, if you don't have a SWG, or if you have an issue with high calcium. If we ever have to do a real SLAM, I'll go and lug jugs of chlorine home to do it. But for the occasional boost, this is working well for us.

I have a vinyl pool and a salt system and low calcium levels in my pool. I keep a 25 pound bucket of Cal-hypo for slams or to bring my chlorine levels back up quickly after a rain or a sudden rise in temperature or whatever. Much easier to store and have on hand then liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.