In-Pool Stools/Bar?

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Question: While lounging in our pool this weekend, I was trying to think of ways to sit somewhere other than the steps. Possibly a few people, possibly like an in-pool bar? Not haning off the sides, but in the pool, heavy enough to stay put, but of material that would not harm the vinyl liner on our IGP. I started thinking about wide diameter PVC with end-caps (36" or so?) filled with something or ?? These would only need to be a height of around 24" high, but wide enough for sitting.

Anyone have any thoughts? Seen this prior?

And no I don't have a drinking problem. It's totally under control! :cheers:

Thanks,

Ted

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm reminded of some comedian talking about staying at a pricey tropical resort that had a swim-up bar. He saw people swimming up all day long to refill their drinks, but no one ever got out to pee.

How about a humble plastic bucket, maybe padded with some wetsuit material or a gardener's kneepad?

How about this:
floating-party-table-for-pool.jpg
http://www.backyardagora.com/ideas/2006/12/04/floating-party-table-for-your-pool/

My neighbor set out for the trash PU the other week a lounger and a regular PVC patio chair. I cleaned them off and they are setting in the pool area now to sit on when you get out. But as I have sat there, my thought was to remove the feet plugs on them, attach a coupler and more pvc pipe to extend the legs to make them taller, more like bar height, then put the feet back on. Fill with sand to sink them and set them in the pool for chairs to sit on in the water. http://patiopvc.com/whiteset.html?gclid=CMnmw5aplLACFYuR7QodHgOyog they are similar to these.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For DIY there are lots of plastic stools available that you could weight down.

You can make PVC furniture and weight it down yourself
http://pipefinepatiofurniture.com/

Alternately if you wanted something a little more permanent you could use hollow concrete tubes with a plastic base to keep from damaging the pool and then capped with granite or whatever kind of surface you would want.

I still think an empty plastic bucket with the lid back on it is simplest. Drill a couple holes to let water in and out, then set a large river rock in it to weight it down. When you want to pull it, it's only the weight of the bucket and the rock, as the water inside is neutral buoyancy, and as it lifts out it will drain.

:party: Hey, limeysgrl, did you try the PVC on the bottom of the chair? Sure sounds like it would work. I have four blue mesh/white tube chairs that look just like the ones in the backyardcitypools pic, and I'm going to go get the PVC to add to the legs of one and give it a try. Probably have to get my husband to drill holes in the legs, though. You can get the envy pool stool at sears.com for $149.00; still too pricey for us. Post if you now have pool chairs!

brisketbabe said:
:party: Hey, limeysgrl, did you try the PVC on the bottom of the chair? Sure sounds like it would work. I have four blue mesh/white tube chairs that look just like the ones in the backyardcitypools pic, and I'm going to go get the PVC to add to the legs of one and give it a try. Probably have to get my husband to drill holes in the legs, though. You can get the envy pool stool at sears.com for $149.00; still too pricey for us. Post if you now have pool chairs!

No I have not as of yet, got to finish all other projects. But we did luck out and the neighbor who had thrown out the chair, bought a new house and was moving last week. Came over and gave my husband the other three of the chairs as well as a 2 tables. So as soon as our other projects are finished, going to look at makeing the mod's to the chairs so we can sit in the pool and enjoy a cool drink.

I ordered two of the Sun Station pool seats/bars a couple weeks. Got them this past week to try out and they work very well. Our cantilever coping sticks out enough into the pool, that you can sit at the edge like a swim up bar. My intent is to order three more to have a table and four stool config in the pool.

I struggled a bit finding lead shot for the weight container, but found some at a Gander Mountain. 25lb bag for $37. Should be enough for 3 stools for the added weight.

65372_main

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.