In New England, was set on Liner, but thinking about Gunite?

Re: In New England, was set on Liner, but thinking about Gun

Ksnewman said:
MassNerd said:
Wow, what a unique design and alternative to a patio ksnewman, I love it! We're having a full patio put around out pool, but are going with stepping stones from the house to the patio about 45'.

Thank you. We still have a bit of work to do on the "patio" side. We do want to add a few more larger stones. This is an experiement of sorts to see if the grass will survive. We have such a small yard that we wanted to keep as much grass as possible to keep it cooler. It is NOT a 4" high heel rated zone, but we like to keep it casual anyway! We have 2 350 sq ft decks plus a 400 sq ft patio so we have lots of patio/deck areas.

Well, you may have more work to be done, but I have to say too that your pool is easily the most beautiful and best looking vinyl pool I've ever seen. I think most would agree that it outshines many, many, gunite pools as well. I love what you've done with the coping width and all other stone work as well. We want something very similar in size, looks, and configuration when we build. Excepting the fact we want a dive pool, you pretty much have down exactly what we would love. Truly a wonderful pool vinyl or not. Very nice!

Ksnewman said:
We also liked the look of landscaping/grass close to the pool but there are no gunite pool builders in our town so cost would have been very expensive so we opted for vinyl and a "natural" look as we are in a wooded setting. Our coping is abt 14 -18". We are very pleased with the results. My husband does push mow our yard so that does keep debris out of pool. Not having a solid pool deck has not been a problem and we have had teens, little ones & adults for several swim parties. It does tend to keep it cooler around pool as it faces West.

Best wishes!

Ksnewman said:
We also liked the look of landscaping/grass close to the pool but there are no gunite pool builders in our town so cost would have been very expensive so we opted for vinyl and a "natural" look as we are in a wooded setting. Our coping is abt 14 -18". We are very pleased with the results. My husband does push mow our yard so that does keep debris out of pool. Not having a solid pool deck has not been a problem and we have had teens, little ones & adults for several swim parties. It does tend to keep it cooler around pool as it faces West.

Best wishes!
What color is your liner , do you know who the manufacturer is? hands down the best looking vinyl pool Ive ever seen In My opinion!!!

scott713 said:
Ksnewman said:

Best wishes!
What color is your liner , do you know who the manufacturer is? hands down the best looking vinyl pool Ive ever seen In My opinion!!!

I believe theirs is black or black granite, I have the same one and I had asked them the same question prior to getting our pool.

scott713 said:
Ksnewman said:

Best wishes!

Thank you, it is called Black Granite and I believe it is a Kafco liner. Ordered it all online and sub contracted to PB to install.

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
One of the things you need to think about is how long do you plan on staying in your home. A gunite pool is a permanent fixture more or less. A vinyl pool can be easily removed comparatively speaking. Both types have issues. Plaster wears out and must be replaced. Staining is another issue. Vinyl has problems if you need to drain, floating issues with heavy rain, and damage from over chlorination. You need to research the issues associated with both types of builds before you decide.

We have a gunite pool. I have found that it isn't much more work than a vinyl or fiberglass pool. As for being "permanent", we love our pool and use it too much to get rid of it, but if for some reason we wanted to get rid of it it's not hard to turn a gunite pool into a sunken patio.

Carnut,
I've been doing the gunite research in the Metro West area and want to talk to some good liner companies. Would you pm me some of your Vinyl PB findings?
I'm trying to go with a 18' x 44' x >9' deep end. I'm thinking rectangle for the ease of an autocover. I'm really liking the auto cover with coping over the tracks. I figure it will prolong the season a bit and help keep "Fall" out of the water. Plus help security/safety when not in use. I have an 8, 5, and 2 y/o.

I might be to far out, I am way out in Southwick, MA. Several others are closer on here that have built recently.

That said the 2 top Vinyl I have liked so far are Juliano's in Eliington, CT and Sun Splash Pools and Spas in Ludlow, MA. I was impressed with both.

Good Luck!!!!!!

BQ said:
Carnut,
I've been doing the gunite research in the Metro West area and want to talk to some good liner companies. Would you pm me some of your Vinyl PB findings?
I'm trying to go with a 18' x 44' x >9' deep end. I'm thinking rectangle for the ease of an autocover. I'm really liking the auto cover with coping over the tracks. I figure it will prolong the season a bit and help keep "Fall" out of the water. Plus help security/safety when not in use. I have an 8, 5, and 2 y/o.

We used Family Pools out of Lawrence and they were great. They do both liner and gunite. You can check out my pool in my signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.