Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Installed my pool cover the same way I did last year but feel like I'm fishing parts of the cover and the water bags out of the pool way more than I did last year and we haven't even had any snow yet.

I copied what the previous owner did based on pictures. Both years I drained about half the pool leaving about 18" water in the pool. Last winter I drained back down twice from rain/melting snow and didn't have to top off in spring so cover isn't completely solid but not sure what type it's actually considered. It's about 1 foot wider/longer than main pool and have separate tarp over steps.

Only difference I have found from last year is all the trees that were on far end of pool were removed so potentially more wind getting to pool this year.

Could I attach directly to the cover via the grommets? Is there anything else I can do or did wrong that I could fix to not have to keep fixing the cover so often?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help

Attachments

• 20201011_095400.jpg
    20201011_095400.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201011_131812.jpg
    20201011_131812.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 34
Eric, I think your biggest problem is that you're draining the pool down to almost empty! Covers often require to rest on the water for support. So by emptying your pool level down to only 18" the cover has no support.

Most folks just drain down below the skimmer or returns.

That's all I can imagine, as I don't use that type of cover....nor do I close being in Georgia.

Maddie :flower:

In my case that is just below the returns. Returns are about halfway down pool (6ft deep)

If it requires water to support I probably need a bigger cover as the "dent" in the middle is currently at about the level of the bottom of the skimmer

Thanks. I had read it but missed the part about pushing it down so it was laying on the water. But with the cover I have I don't think that would even be possible unless pool was almost 100% full

Is the main purpose of the cover to keep dirt out since your not running the pump? Originally would have thought it would be to keep water out but with mesh covers or even tarp like material I have water goes through anyway

Seems you have figured it out now. That cover is way to small. To leave only 18" of water in a liner pool also is not a good idea. Done correctly you can leave the water above the skimmer even BUT YOU NEED to know what you're doing. Saves a lot of treated water and keeps the liner tight all around.
The tarp type cover ( which i consider to be the only cover ) should be on the deck enough to go under the water bags, down the side of the pool to the water, across the pool and up and across the other side.

Any thoughts out there on attaching directly to cover?

Or are there any ideas to use existing cover? Or are my only real options keep fishing it out or buying proper sized cover which isn't really in budget right now

To keep water higher i would think the skimmer would be kept full of water, guessing prime risk there is it freezing

To keep doing as you are doing with what you have ,,,,,,,, not sure if should say this,,,,, BUT, cut a small hole in the middle of your cover so the water can move through faster. You already know if left alone in will seep through anyway right. Snow is going to be an issue with your set up. Some solid covers actually have a screened opening in the middle for this reason.
If you attach that cover to the deck chances are it is going to tear itself apart.
Yes a skimmer full of water will freeze/ expand and break. You will need to blow the lines and fill the skimmer body and throat with foam. All lines need to be free of water and plugged to keep them that way.
You mentioned you pumped out the water a few times last winter so if you are ok with this, go get a 8 foot stick and a knife.

How much of a risk do you think the first heavy snow would turn the little hole into a big one? I'm tempted to try this with the understanding I'm probably going to get a new cover sometime in the near future just hoping not this year.

I wonder if I can let enough slack out of the ropes to get the middle to rest on the water once it rises up a little without it falling in like it is now

Agreeing with what the others have said, the cover is far too small and should be laying against the water.

Below is a copy of mine - you can see how deep it goes and how you need to account for the overlap, this way when it snows and melts it is not adding weight to the cover so it will not tear

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 1Sammy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you are stuck doing as you have for now. A little hole for drainage will be a big hole the first time you get a big snow/ice event. The alternative is a larger cover or learning how to winterize the pool without lowering the water level that much.

How much of a risk do you think the first heavy snow would turn the little hole into a big one? I'm tempted to try this with the understanding I'm probably going to get a new cover sometime in the near future just hoping not this year.

I wonder if I can let enough slack out of the ropes to get the middle to rest on the water once it rises up a little without it falling in like it is now
Depends on the tarp. I have seen them with a small rip and because of the weaving it will not tear.

If I leave the water level higher, which would save me a lot of time on closing day, do I just need to maintain throughout the winter water level just below the skimmer to keep water out of the skimmer? Or are the gizmos/foam enough protection that if I don't get out there to drain after every snow melt/heavy rain? I only have a gizmo in there currently but could cut up a couple of pool noodles I have to put in there too

I think if i let some slack up from the ropes I can get the center of the current cover to rest against water once it gets back up to an inch or two below the skimmer but it wouldn't take much snow then to bring level back up into the skimmer.

I'm hesitant to comment too much on what you should do since I don't know how you closed your pool. In my case, I don't lower the water at all. The water level is about halfway up the door to the skimmer. The skimmer has a Gizmo in it and the door is wedged open with a crushed anti-freeze bottle. The returns are blown and plugged with anti-freeze added. The pump and filter are drained and the drain plugs removed. The skimmer line is blown with the Gizmo and anti-freeze added from both ends before it is capped. The main drain line is blown down, anti-freeze added, blown down again and plugged.

For closing:
1. Drained water (now know it was too far)
2. blew out all lines and plugged returns with rubber expandable plugs.
3. put gizmo in skimmer after blowing line out and vacuuming remaing water from skimmer.
4. Removed weir door.
5. Pump and cartridge filter removed and brought inside since both easily carry able and connected via unions.
6. Antifreeze put in both returns and suction line and capped ground side of lines via cap on union.

No main drain to deal with.

7. Put ropes and cover on.

Thanks for the help everyone! I lowered the ropes so the center should be in contact with the water once it gets back up closer to the skimmer. Won't take that much out in the future. Probably try to get a new cover some point too

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.