In Ground Filter for Above Ground Pool

tnt69

May 27, 2016
Chester, IL
Is there any reason why an In Ground Pool Filter cannot be used with an AG Pool? I have a 30K gal. AG Pool and can't find Cartridge Filters big enough for my pool that would keep me from cleaning cartridges way too often. I have found a fewould not work in my AG w filters that interest me that are 425 and 525 sq. ft. but they are advertised as In Ground. What would be the problem with using one of these in an AG application?

There's nothing that says that you can't use inground equipment on your aboveground pool. Some small pools use 1¼" fittings and those can be a challenge to adapt, but your pool is going to use either 1½" or 2" so that makes it easy.

No. The filter only knows it gets water from the pump. It doesn't care where the pump gets it from or where it goes after it leaves.

Inground Pumps will work for an aboveground pool, but the other way may not work. Inground has to lift water to the basket, above grounds are gravity fed.

Reactions: HermanTX
To me it’s the only way to go. Above ground pool filters are notoriously undersized and you have well over double the gallons of the average inground pool. For reference I have 35k and a 500 sq ft. I went through 2 SLAMS and didn’t need to clean it during either. The second one I cheated and drained a bunch but I still had 15k gallons left so I still had to filter out an average sized pools worth of algae. During pollen season I get about a month, otherwise I could go a year at a time without cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.