In-desk basketball hoop - salt corroded the pole: replacement?


Active member
Jul 3, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have a basketball set that fits into a hole in my cool deck. Since I have a salt pool, it has corroded through the metal on the pole that holds up the backboard. I'm trying to find a replacement, but for the life of me, I am unable to. Nothing at Home Depot. Doesn't need to be specific to this - just a hollow steel or galvanized metal tube that has a diameter of ~3.5" and a length of about 36".

Any suggestions?


TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
Have you though about using PVC pipe? Perhaps a 3" PVC pipe (close to 3.5" OD) would do the trick. Could fill with ready-mix concrete to make more rigid, but that still may not handle the weight, depending on the set. Otherwise I'd call a local plumber or machine shop to see if they could get you a piece of appropriate size piping.