importance of salt to CSI in non-salt pool?

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
I was just advising someone to play with the Pool Calculator to get familiar with it and so I started playing with in with my pool values.

My pool is not salt, as far as I know, but then I've added so much bleach to it in 18 months that it may have a lot of salt in it now. I noted the other day that I found it easy to float, which makes me think that maybe it is a bit salty. I can't taste any salt however.

I recall that someone said that a non-salt pool might still have 1500 ppm of salt.... so I added that to my values in the Calculator and WOW -- suddenly my CSI is at -.51

So, should I be testing for salt? Should we all be testing for salt? It seems to make a difference, at least to me since I'd run TA to the low side to keep pH in check, then started using tabs to get CYA up. If I assume no salt, the CSI is fine at -.37.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Most people don't need to worry about the effect of salt on CSI, because you don't usually need to know what your CSI level is that precisely.

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
Since you have an in-ground presumably gunite pool with waterfall and spa spillover, it would be better for you to have a higher CH level to get the saturation index higher to protect the plaster and rock (depending on type) surfaces. It doesn't have to be exactly at zero, but I wouldn't have it be so low for a very long time -- short-term exposures are OK. If you had a vinyl pool with no exposed grout in tile, then the CSI wouldn't matter if it were low. I don't think you need to test for salt, but I would assume that you've probably got at least 1000 ppm unless you have fairly decent water dilution.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
D Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG) 1
Karl103 Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG) 3
P Just Getting Started 13

Other Threads of Interest