Imperial or U.S. gallons

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
My pool is 8112 gallons (that's what's written on the box). I am assuming that is U.S. gallons. I purchased the pool in Canada, and am wondering would the boxes be labelled in Imperial gallons. Need to be certain when using Pool Calculator!! Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

GC

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Re: Imperial or U.S.

I've seen pools in Canada labeled in both ways. You can't count on it being one or the other for sure. From your dimensions, US gallons seem more likely.

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland

Thanks Jason. I didn't think it was such a big deal until I discovered there's a 20% difference. There is 1.2 U.S. gallons in 1 Imperial gallon. That's a significant difference when I try to determine the proper quantity of CYA and salt for my pool.

Jamison04

Jun 21, 2011
Tecumseh, OK

It has to be US gallons. The pool calculator estimates your pool size at 7900 gallons at 4' deep which is closer to what the box says it is. 8112 imperial gallons is 9742 US gallons.

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
LOL. I still don't know if my car gas mileage is good or not because I don't know whether or not when I convert kilometers per liter to miles per gallon which one to use!! Miles per gallon makes more sense to me than kilometers per liter. But I don't know "which gallon" to use!