I’m sinking…getting weak….

What is your current cya?
I see on 4/26 you only lost 4ppm during the day- that’s an average loss in sunny texas & not extreme.
When doing the oclt are you confirming your dose reached your target?

Today’s test this morning. Down to 5 this morning. The numbers you see on the right is the whole number, not the half. I dont’ know why I started the numbers that way….but the dips are weird. Like 4/22 it dipped to 6 and then 5 yesterday and 5 today. It’s crazy. We took the lights out, bleached them, took off all the jet nozzles. Brushing every day. This is just crazy and it;s NOT getting better. We’re on our second box of four plus 2 Lowe’s bleaches….sigh…this is never ending.
If I am reading your notes correctly, you are testing your morning test at 7:30-8:30 on most days. Sunrise is at ~6:30, and with 20 CYA you are very susceptible to the sun burning off your chlorine. Can you check closer to sunrise to take the sun out of the equation for your OCLT?

Also good job on scrubbing behind the lights as that is a notorious hiding spot. Another one that is often overlooked is the weir door on the skimmer(s). Pool cleaners and brushing do not reach those so they rarely get brushed and can get algae on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
When i first started this nightmare, I went and reread. I use the app. The app told me what my slam level was based on the CYA. I swear I read that CYA 20 was okay. I will up the CYA tomorrow and go over the slam protocol again. The water is crystal clear.
Today the FC was 8.5 this morning and tonight 5. Last night we had to dump a whole jug of bleach in. 128 oz. I’m very close to giving up.

I would not add CYA. My point was that with 20 CYA the sun will burn off your chlorine fairly quickly. Testing your morning test 1-2 hours after sunrise while you are trying to do an OCLT is going to show you lost more overnight than you really did.

Do the test at sunrise ~6:30am and I bet your overnight loss isn’t that bad. You may even pass the OCLT and be done with the SLAM.

After you are done with the SLAM, you can bump up your CYA to 40 or so.

When i first started this nightmare, I went and reread. I use the app. The app told me what my slam level was based on the CYA. I swear I read that CYA 20 was okay. I will up the CYA tomorrow and go over the slam protocol again. The water is crystal clear.
Today the FC was 8.5 this morning and tonight 5. Last night we had to dump a whole jug of bleach in. 128 oz. I’m very close to giving up.
It looks like you’re not testing after your last addition of the day. That’s not how the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test works.
Ensure you Do a proper oclt tonight-
With the pump running for at least 30 minutes prior, Test fc AFTER your last addition has had time to mix , test again in the morning before sunrise- be sure the pump is running for at least 30 minutes before getting the am sample.
Post the results - fc & cc’s for both tests.

3.5ppm fc loss in a day with almost no cya in sunny texas falls within the average 2-5ppm loss in an algae free pool. Your day time fc losses are not horrendous. Also, understand that testing & dosing only twice a day really drags out a slam.

Tomorrow- in bright outdoor light, test cya & post the result, if it’s 20 or below add 10ppm worth of cya via the sock method, begin chlorinating as if you have 30ppm cya.
FC/CYA Levels

I think I have made it without giving in to the pool store. I woke up this morning and the level was only down 1.0. I’ve been slamming for 3 weeks now and my numbers have been whacked. I am enclosing the last week’s numbers. You will see very low numbers. BUT the water is clear, pool vacc’d and brushed. I have turned on the SWG again and will continue to test the pool to make sure we are on track. I am still puzzled by a few things that no one can seem to help me with. Why my pH is always SO high. Always 8.0 all the time. Second, my CH has been 475 for a year now. And the last puzzlement was the low numbers this week. Very strange. As previously mentioned the double numbers are the number of drops and the low numbers are the half numbers.

I am about to go add more CYA and do all the tests and try to start getting the pool balanced.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 10
Hard to understand but you’re saying the highlighted numbers are drops? So 11ppm?
IMG_6042.jpeg
If so that’s a pass👍🏻 it looks as if your day time losses have been average - like on 4/29 you lost 2.5ppm all day - that’s not abnormal in an algae free pool.

Reactions: newdude
I want to address a few things-
#1 - the pool store would have likely told you that your pool is fine & you were good to go after it looked “clearish” & blue because they don’t concern themselves with fully eradicating algae or proving so with an accurate overnight chlorine loss test. Make no mistake, they would have still sold you something 💰 (no telling what).
#2 you have a 19k gallon pool, it takes anywhere from a 1/2 gallon to a full gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to replenish the average daily fc loss of 2-5ppm in your climate when you’re not doing the slam process. So Your usage during the slam is not extreme especially considering your low cya.
#3 the
SLAM Process with its 3 exit criteria including the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test are designed to be the most efficient & effective way to eliminate algae & prove its gone whilst still being safe for surfaces, equipment, & swimmers.
*For the slam - testing & replenishing fc is imperative, the less you test & replenish the longer the whole thing takes since you end up at less effective fc levels for longer periods.
The more often you do it, the faster it goes. Especially in the beginning when consumption is higher.
It’s often recommended to begin slam on the weekend (or when you have a couple days off) so you can aim for dosing every couple hours & get a leg up. As fc demand slows so can you, down to 3 times a day or so.
*For the oclt -
it is not a valid measurement of loss if you don’t do both tests in the absence of the sun
Or
you don’t actually test After your last fc addition & just assume you achieved your target.
This is extremely important as the 1ppm loss threshold leaves little wiggle room.
I think you might have actually passed the oclt much sooner had you been doing it exactly as the article says.
#4 PoolMath & logs
I understand if you prefer paper logs, many do.
That said, it is extremely difficult for others to decipher your written notes.
If you don’t wanna use poolmath for keeping logs (which is definitely worth the $7/yr btw) you can click my avatar & see my logs
Perhaps creating a standardized log sheet would be clearer in the future.
Also using the resulting ppm instead of /alongside drops & cups makes it much easier to follow especially if asking for assistance & trying to make out patterns.

You’re on the other side now so be sure to keep it that way by following the appropriate
FC/CYA Levels - setting your swg to maintain high target 🎯 is good insurance incase of a higher uv day or other variables. Your swg brand & size isn’t listed in your signature so I can’t really offer guidance on run times or %. Please update that along with your filter info.
You can however use poolmath effects of adding (in the hamburger menu) to determine what it takes for your particular swg to create 3ppm/day and start there. Select swg then the 🔍 to select your swg
IMG_6043.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: an1vrsy and newdude
I want to address a few things-
#1 - the pool store would have likely told you that your pool is fine & you were good to go after it looked “clearish” & blue because they don’t concern themselves with fully eradicating algae or proving so with an accurate overnight chlorine loss test. Make no mistake, they would have still sold you something 💰 (no telling what).
#2 you have a 19k gallon pool, it takes anywhere from a 1/2 gallon to a full gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to replenish the average daily fc loss of 2-5ppm in your climate when you’re not doing the slam process. So Your usage during the slam is not extreme especially considering your low cya.
#3 the
SLAM Process with its 3 exit criteria including the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test are designed to be the most efficient & effective way to eliminate algae & prove its gone whilst still being safe for surfaces, equipment, & swimmers.
*For the slam - testing & replenishing fc is imperative, the less you test & replenish the longer the whole thing takes since you end up at less effective fc levels for longer periods.
The more often you do it, the faster it goes. Especially in the beginning when consumption is higher.
It’s often recommended to begin slam on the weekend (or when you have a couple days off) so you can aim for dosing every couple hours & get a leg up. As fc demand slows so can you, down to 3 times a day or so.
*For the oclt -
it is not a valid measurement of loss if you don’t do both tests in the absence of the sun
Or
you don’t actually test After your last fc addition & just assume you achieved your target.
This is extremely important as the 1ppm loss threshold leaves little wiggle room.
I think you might have actually passed the oclt much sooner had you been doing it exactly as the article says.
#4 PoolMath & logs
I understand if you prefer paper logs, many do.
That said, it is extremely difficult for others to decipher your written notes.
If you don’t wanna use poolmath for keeping logs (which is definitely worth the $7/yr btw) you can click my avatar & see my logs
Perhaps creating a standardized log sheet would be clearer in the future.
Also using the resulting ppm instead of /alongside drops & cups makes it much easier to follow especially if asking for assistance & trying to make out patterns.

You’re on the other side now so be sure to keep it that way by following the appropriate
FC/CYA Levels - setting your swg to maintain high target 🎯 is good insurance incase of a higher uv day or other variables. Your swg brand & size isn’t listed in your signature so I can’t really offer guidance on run times or %. Please update that along with your filter info.
You can however use poolmath effects of adding (in the hamburger menu) to determine what it takes for your particular swg to create 3ppm/day and start there. Select swg then the 🔍 to select your swg
View attachment 488093

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My SWG is for a 40k pool. It’s Hayward, the same as my pool equipment. Not sure what you mean other than that. I found the spot you posted above, but I don’t know what to put in there for a number.. right now it’s at 40% and we turned it up to 50% today bc the FC was down to 5 from 6.5 yesterday. I am working on balancing the rest. BUT my pH is OFF THE CHARTS HIGH. And the pool calculator is NEVER right. It is NEVER enough. Ever. Today it was bright pink 8+ today. It’s driving me nuts.

My SWG is for a 40k pool. It’s Hayward, the same as my pool equipment. Not sure what you mean other than that. I found the spot you posted above, but I don’t know what to put in there for a number.. right now it’s at 40% and we turned it up to 50% today bc the FC was down to 5 from 6.5 yesterday. I am working on balancing the rest. BUT my pH is OFF THE CHARTS HIGH. And the pool calculator is NEVER right. It is NEVER enough. Ever. Today it was bright pink 8+ today. It’s driving me nuts.
It's right, the problem is the block only goes to 8.2 so that is what we have to use in poolmath But if it's higher in reality it just takes more dose so it's dose, retest, repeat until it starts to get in range. When I started SLAM on 4/22 it took 4-5 times of that cycle to get my PH readable.

Great 👍🏻 add that it’s a Hayward 40k gal/ t15 to your signature .
Here’s a video of how to figure how long & what % - I used your cell & pool volume as my example
Until you get the cya up the swg will probably have a hard time keeping up/maintaining so be sure to keep fc well above minimum for your cya with liquid chlorine until you get the swg dialed in.
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: an1vrsy
My SWG is for a 40k pool. It’s Hayward, the same as my pool equipment. Not sure what you mean other than that
Great 👍🏻 add that it’s a Hayward 40k gal/ t15 to your signature .
Here’s a video of how to figure how long & what % - I used your cell & pool volume as my example
Until you get the cya up the swg will probably have a hard time keeping up/maintaining so be sure to keep fc well above minimum for your cya with liquid chlorine until you get the swg dialed in.
FC/CYA Levels
Ok. I think I did this right. My CYA is at 50 and from Monday to today i went from 6 to 3. I added bleach. I also can’t get my pH down to save my life. We add acid and it comes right back up! The TA was 80 which was nice for a change. OH and on the app, it keeps saying my bleach is 10%. I changed it ONE TIME when we ran out of our pool store bleach and now it keeps saying 10. Driving me nuts!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.