im gary, i bought a home with a pool.

garybtru

Apr 24, 2017
Upstate NY
Hi all,

I just realized I never posted in here... I'm Gary, my wife and I bought a home w/ a pool back in Sept. and we squeezed a few weeks out of it before having a company close it/winterize it for us. The previous owner was using chlorine pucks + litmus strip things. So periodic testing and adding a chlorine puck to the strainer, shocking if the levels are low, ph up/down, etc. are about the extent of my limited pool chemicals knowledge! I read the Pool School posts, so that's a start I guess.

The members of this forum seem very helpful and knowledgeable so I decided to take the plunge, bought a TF-100 kit (should arrive today) and hopefully am on the right path to better understanding my pool. The pool had an old Hayward DE filter so I bought a Hayward sand filter from Amazon, and very recently installed it myself.

I like that "a pool is like a pet" analogy but we already have 2 dogs. So hopefully it's not as needy as them, hah! :)

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are well on your way. My pool is much easier to take car of than dogs, cats or kids, :-D