chlorine deprived

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 4, 2009
18000 gal vinyl swg
TA 100
PH 7.3
CYA 30
Salt 3200
FC who the heck knows please read POOL water is crystal clear, no dead algae on steps or floor
Im using a TF test kit

So i ve been slamming with chlorox, had it over 20 ppm several times but the chlorine is being eaten so fast i cant or havent kept up jacked it to 35 ppm plus and next morning its 18 ppm yesterday and last night overnight for 12 hours it was at 22ppm + this am 2 HOURS LATER i added 240 oz. So i just checked and im at 15 ppm Is my timing just off? Before when i jacked it high with chlorox it beat the algae even though the ppm fell 3-5 ppm evey 12 hours or so. anyway thanks

Note my SW Hayright was reading whacky numbers then i calibrated and it seems fine again

Please find a better form of Liquid Chlorine. We advise folks not to use Clorox brand and others that are like it because of all the new fangled additives they're putting in it now.
PLAIN bleach is fine, if you can find it? Its getting harder :( It runs usually 6% strength.
Liquid Chlorine can be found at Walmart in the pool section, Lowes, Home Depot and usually runs 10% strength, so you use a bit less.
Pool Stores often sell bulk 12% liquid chlorine in refillable containers. Check locally.
Also Pool Stores sell liquid "Pool Shock" which is nothing but liquid chlorine.

You're not following the FC/CYA Levels chart for SLAM levels at those high levels. See chart.

If you add more FC to the water than you need, it also disappears at a higher/faster rate. Stick to the amount your CYA of 30 requires only.

Do you have your SWG turned on as you add all this liquid chlorine??

Maddie 🐞

Reactions: Mdragger88
18000 gal vinyl swg
TA 100
PH 7.3
CYA 30
Salt 3200
FC who the heck knows please read POOL water is crystal clear, no dead algae on steps or floor
Im using a TF test kit

So i ve been slamming with chlorox, had it over 20 ppm several times but the chlorine is being eaten so fast i cant or havent kept up jacked it to 35 ppm plus and next morning its 18 ppm yesterday and last night overnight for 12 hours it was at 22ppm + this am 2 HOURS LATER i added 240 oz. So i just checked and im at 15 ppm Is my timing just off? Before when i jacked it high with chlorox it beat the algae even though the ppm fell 3-5 ppm evey 12 hours or so. anyway thanks

Note my SW Hayright was reading whacky numbers then i calibrated and it seems fine again
Yes the swg is on. My bleach is 7.25. Always worked before?

So cya chart says 20. Is it normal to add chlorine every 2 hours? Because I’m losing it at about 1 ppm every hour Kind of impractical overnight 🤷‍♂️ I ve broke many cycles over the years. This is perplexing

Yes the swg is on. My bleach is 7.25. Always worked before?

So cya chart says 20. Is it normal to add chlorine every 2 hours? Because I’m losing it at about 1 ppm every hour Kind of impractical overnight 🤷‍♂️ I ve broke many cycles over the years. This is perplexing
Your SLAM target is 12ppm FC. But going so far over you are just wasting chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Lots of algae = lots of chlorine demand.
at the beginning of the SLAM Process demand can be very high so it is recommended to replenish slam level fc of 12ppm as often as possible (every couple of hours if u can) to combat this & to be the most efficient with the your liquid chlorine. As you make headway the fc will hold for longer & longer. As mentioned above- going over slam level for your cya just wastes chlorine & risks damage to swimmers, surfaces, and equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.