If you use liquid chlorine, instead of pucks, how much do you use per day?

aces79

Jun 2, 2018
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CYA keeps getting too high and I know it's because I use chlorine tabs/pucks. If I switch to liquid chlorine that won't happen right?

Thing is, the nearest store that sells it is 30 miles away one way and has a limit of 10 bottles per customer, so I'm wondering, how many days would I get out of 10 bottles?

My pool is 30x52 and sits in the full Texas sun. No shade at all. Approximately how much liquid chlorine do you think I'd have to add per day?

There are so many variables. In most cases, in the summer, pools will need 2 - 4 ppm of chlorine added each day. So, let's say, 4 ppm. In 21k gallons, CYA 50, you would need 107 oz of LC daily. So might as well say a gallon of 10%. You will need more if its percentage is not as high.

Reactions: magiteck
Have you considered a salt chlorine generator (SWG)? At a gallon a day, and gas/time almost weekly to go get it, those LC costs will add up. Your break-even point in cost for the SWG might only be a couple years, and then you don't have to worry about adding every day or having to drive to get it.

Reactions: an1vrsy
the nearest store that sells it is 30 miles away one way and has a limit of 10 bottles per customer

My pool is 30x52 and sits in the full Texas sun. No shade at all.
You're the perfect candidate for a SWG. Make your own chlorine and make your life much easier.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Before I went salt a couple years ago, my pool, which is just under 18K in size, required 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach (about 2.5 ppm). Full-blast south Texas sun without a drop of shade out in the country. I would keep my CYA at 60 - 70. I used to get my bleach at HEB before the prices got ridiculous. Then I started going to Home Depot for their 3-paks of 10%.

Reactions: ladylonghorn
Before I went salt a couple years ago, my pool, which is just under 18K in size, required 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach (about 2.5 ppm). Full-blast south Texas sun without a drop of shade out in the country. I would keep my CYA at 60 - 70. I used to get my bleach at HEB before the prices got ridiculous. Then I started going to Home Depot for their 3-paks of 10%.
My pool is not meant for a SWG so would a SWG mess it up?

It's metal sides, fiberglass rails, above ground.

Thing is, the nearest store that sells it is 30 miles away one way and has a limit of 10 bottles per customer, so I'm wondering, how many days would I get out of 10 bottles?
Do you not live anywhere near a Walmart or Home Depot? Also bleach is the exact same thing as “liquid chlorine” it just isn’t as concentrated. Just don’t use scented bleach or “ splash less bleach”, and stay away from Clorox brand bleach as they throw in all kinds of additives now a days.

It's metal sides, fiberglass rails, above ground.
Consensus here is that a properly balanced saltwater pool is no more corrosive than any other pool. A salt pool has about 3,000ppm salt, compared to a non-salt pool which is usually closer to 1,000 ppm. To put that in context, the ocean is over 30,000ppm.

Where it’s believed some folks get into trouble is by thinking that having a SWG means they don’t have to test their chemical levels. You still have to test and keep things in balance - you just don’t have to manually dose chlorine. :)

Some warranties may make reference to use or non use of a salt chlorine generator, so that is the one potential concern if that’s a consideration for you.

I happily added a SWG on my metal wall, resin rail pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Your pool may have whatever you wish on the inside of the vinyl liner and without any leaks, the pool will never know if it's a SWG pool or Orange Juice.

Any leaks will cause damage from the moisture, not the low salinity content.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Y'all are making me feel better, I'm adding about a gallon of 12.5% every other day and was getting worried I might need to bring my CYA up a bit (40 currently). I'm in Central Texas, out in the country, full sun exposure all day long. Been debating a SWG but heard all the negatives with a metal side / vinyl liner and rail. Always figured it can't be that bad since the proper saline level is so low. I think that's going to have to be an upgrade we do soon, SWG so I don't have to keep buying so much LC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.