IF issue, where is the sensor wire located?

Re: Hayward H400 Ignition Failure

Hi....no luck yet. There's a guy in my neighborhood that does HVAC and he's going to come tomorrow afternoon and check my gas pressure and gas valve. Everything seems to test OK, so I'm down to the value or low gas pressure. I'll let you know how things go tomorrow. I'm hoping I just need a bigger meter (and that the gas company will upgrade without charge).

Its a mystery for sure. Have you replaced any parts like flame sensor/ignitor, or pressure valve? I have had my gas company out to take a look and they say PSI is not the problem. Another person told me the gas line needs to be bled out which would make some sense considering the problem occured right after my gas company changed out a regulator. Either way, let me know what you find out. Thanks

My HVAC guy just left and he throughly checked out the unit. The heater had excellent gas pressure coming into and out of the heater. He found a few grounds that needed cleaning and better contact. Found a hugh dirt dobber nest on the control board and cleaned it off. Still gives the IF, but the heater now runs about 5 seconds and then shuts off - some improvements. He checked all of recommendations on the troubleshooting chart in the owner's manual. Took the ignitor assembly apart and cleaned all of the surface area.

He noticed that the flame/sensor has it's own service code failure in the manual. Even though it's just IF, could it still be the flame/sensor problem? He also wondered if there was a way to test the control board for a possible defect. I looked up the flame sensor assembly and they are about $50 or so. I'd hate to spend that and it be the control board. Any thoughts....

I am at a loss. It has to be a sensor albeit flame or flow in the unit. HOPEFULLY, it is not the gas valve. Let me know when you get it fixed and what the culprit was.

I bought a new flame sensor/igniter today (Hayward Tech Support said that spark igniter works as a flame sensor also) and still does not work. Same IF code.

I've checked the following:

gas pressure
gas valve
flame sensor/igniter
cob webs in the gas ports
all the limits

Could it be a fault in my control module?

It could be the control module. That is the last thing on the list if the IF code is coming up. I just monkeyed around with mine for about an hour checking the gas ports, hi/lo limits, and gas regulator. Still nothing. I thnk the control module is high dollar though.....

I hear ya. Let me know if you replace it and where you find the best deal. AND if it works! I am out of ideas and am close to calling out a tech.

After 5 months of fooling with this, and no heater working yet, I'm thinking not every DIY project is such a good idea, eh? :idea:

Maybe you Clark County Cow College folks might contact a North Avenue Trade School tech! (I just had to say that, since UGA lives in my town!) :mrgreen:

Actually the H-Series heaters are often more difficult to diagnose and fix. When all else fails, call a Hayward Service Center.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The board worked? Are U still getting a Poof when it lights? If you are Those burners need to be pulled and cleaned. Something is still giving you a delayed ignition Cant believe your hvac guy left it like that sounds like he was in over his head

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.