Idiot alert..Harvey related

cliptx

Mar 11, 2017
SE. TX
We put a cover over our pool with a couple of pillows thinking we could keep the debris out. We were only supposed to get at most 20 inches. We got that last night. Our total is right at 50inches since Friday. Our cover is a woven looking one so we thought it would just get the water and not the debris. Welllllll, not so much. Hubs and I noticed that it looked like it was going to yank the plumbing off the side of the pool so he snapped the guide wire. This morning we tried to pull it off because it was barely sprinkling. After an hour the deluge started again and I can verify that the cover is indeed permeable because of the holes we gouged in to it to get it to release the water. lol

Most of the debris stayed out of the pool but the rain added more to the mix so I expect the swamp monster any day now. Will begin slaming as soon as I know the rain is gone.

We are completely cut off and an island. No way in or out of our town so no supplies. So when we run out of chemicals, that will be it for a while.

Assuming you don't have a bunch of chlorine laying around, I'd say add a gallon of bleach a day until you can get to a store that sells bleach. If you start going full slam now and you run out in 2 days but takes a week or more to get more bleach..... Better to keep it from getting worse right now, than try to clean it completely and run out.

[emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

Fingers crossed that it won't be as bad as you think!

We are in the NW Houston area and we did nothing to prepare for Harvey (other than a little extra bleach (4ppm) as an afterthought). Didn't drain any water; don't have a cover. Have 1/2 acre of trees around it including a red maple and willow that shed like there's no tomorrow and apparently a VERY healthy night crawler population. Thankfully we only got ~30 inches (including 6" in one hour alone.) Pool never overflowed. And other than 1 trip out to clear the baskets (that were visibly overflowing :shock:) and add my last two gallons of bleach (+8ppm) in a light sprinkle we didn't do a thing during those 5 days as it NEVER.STOPPED.RAINING. We also didn't see even a blip of sunlight (which was great for the FC!)

When it was all said and done... My PH was at 7.6, FC was at 4?!?!, CC @ .5, pressure stayed low, TA dropped 20 points, CH dropped by a whopping 120, and CYA dropped 40! The temp also dropped from 93, to 72! Emptied all the baskets, again... fished out most of the dead night crawlers and snakes that hadn't gone down the drain yet; adding baking soda, and calcium, and filled the puck dispenser (need to get that CYA back up before the sun really comes out for good) and the pool is still sparkling clear. Got almost perfect readings today (still need more CH). Plan to give it a good brushing tomorrow after work assuming it's not raining again, like it was this afternoon. But I feel like we won the lottery. I was sure it was going to have 0 chlorine and be well on it's way to green swamp if and when we ever got out to take a look. I was pleasantly surprised!

Thanks y'all. Actually I did a reading today. We overflowed for a couple of days. Funniest thing in the world my CYA is 35, my PH was 7.6, my bleach(which we added 2 gallons before things got bad) was at 2.5 so I consider it a win win.

PS yesterday was rainy and nasty and today you can't even tell we are cut off from the world. It is sunny beautiful and crazy.

Prayers for those affected by Harvey.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.