Identifying pool stains

Vandergraff

This stains were there when we bought the house - and stayed constant - neither getting better or worse - over last couple of years.

The pool is 8' deep at the drain.

Water is well water and adds a lot of alkalinity when topping up the pool.

What is the best way to identify what type of stains these are - and therefore how to treat them.

Attachments

• pool stain.jpg
    pool stain.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 228
You can try rubbing a trichlor puck on the stain and see if it fades. If it does it is organic and increased chlorine levels should help it fade over time. You can also try rubbing a vitamin c tablet on the stain and see if it starts to fade. If it does then you can do an ascorbic acid treatment on the pool. Have you tested the well water for metals?

What is your CH level at? I see quite a bit of build up on your waterline, which makes me assume that you have some hard water. You may be seeing hard water scale at the bottom of the pool as well

Thanks - I am going to take the well water to the pool store and get it tested for metals. We have a Triple-O Ozone system in water tank which should reduce the metals and hardness - we had it tested for the drinking water and after the Triple-O and then an Filter/RO system the drinking water tests fine (for metals, TDS etc) - but the water for the pool only sees the Triple-O. I know the water even after the Triple-O is hard - we have water softener on the feed to our hot water system.

I also have TF-100 on its way - I'll test the pool levels and post.

Vandergraff said:
Thanks - I am going to take the well water to the pool store and get it tested for metals. We have a Triple-O Ozone system in water tank which should reduce the metals and hardness - we had it tested for the drinking water and after the Triple-O and then an Filter/RO system the drinking water tests fine (for metals, TDS etc) - but the water for the pool only sees the Triple-O. I know the water even after the Triple-O is hard - we have water softener on the feed to our hot water system.

I also have TF-100 on its way - I'll test the pool levels and post.

So a year later and everything in the pool is in balance using BBB method.

I don't think the stains are organic (FC levels have been good all season, no need to shock at all this season and passes the Overnight Chlorine Loss test everytime). CH is about 200, TA about 90 and I keep PH about 7.6

Fill water tests at about PH 8.0, TA 200 and CH 140 (?) - so I have to add MA when adding waterto keep PH in balnace and tests for metals are fine.

A previous poster had suggested the stains could be hard water scale - but current CH levels would seem to be OK.

I guess it is possibble that the stains were caused by high CH or metal a long time ago (before bought the house). What is the best way to try identify what they are?

We have had the house and pool for 14 years and plaster is probably at least 20 and more likely 30+ years old. However it seems in good condition apart from the stains.

With BBB method the water is beautifully clear - so the stains are more obvious. It would be nice to get rid of them if I could.

Got a new photo of a BBB pool? I can't answer any questions... but I like to look at all y'alls pretty pools.

I'm also interested since you say the pool is super clear now (believable!). I love before and after images, and the ones that weren't green before BBB may be the most encouraging to those on the fence about BBB because their pool looks "fine".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.