Aug 9, 2019
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All!
Pool math is giving me an ideal TA of 50-90 but I use liquid chlorine & the insert in my kit mentions good readings between 100-120...I’m at 80 right now..PH is 7.5 but the clarity is just slightly off..any idea why I’d be getting such a low ideal TA range? Should I play around with some baking soda?
I literally look forward to taking care of my pool now that I’ve found this site☺️🙏🏻
Total chlorine: 6.5
Ph: 7.5
Alkalinity: 80
CYA: 35

Welcome to TFP!

TA is one of the least critical levels. If you don’t have problems maintaining pH where you want it and don’t need it somewhere particular for CSI management, just let it be.

Sticking to that higher TA range you were quoting, is really only necessary when using Trichlor as the main form of chlorination. Trichlor is acidic, constantly pulling pH and TA down. To avoid pH from crashing, a higher TA makes sense under these circumstances.

But since it is not advisable to use Trichlor as the main source of chlorine in the first place, this is kind of pointless.

Following TFP methods, TA is not that important, and really only needs to be addressed when pH upwards drift and/or high CSI is an issue, as mentioned by John.

TA is usually self-regulating. When higher TA creates faster pH drift, one will naturally add MA more frequently to control pH. This will reduce TA over time, resulting in a slower pH drift. Ideally, TA will settle once pH remains stable in the higher 7s. But by keeping TA deliberately above 100 with baking soda additions, one will never reach this equilibrium, you get into the MA/baking soda seesaw. Increasing TA is really only necessary once TA drops below 50.

Topping up evaporated water with fill water can increase TA again, requiring more frequent MA additions again. In areas with hot climates and high TA fill water it can be a constant battle to keep TA from rising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.