Ideal Setup recomendations for a Small pool or Hot Tub?

Nick8585

Aug 31, 2020
Portland Oregon
Hi Everyone,

This seems like a really awesome community, I've been enjoyng reading all the articles.

My question is if you were starting from scratch what would your ideal Pump/Heater/Filter combination be?

This summer my family purchased an Intex 15ft Easy set Pool and have absolutley been loving it. Currentlty to keep it warm I have been draining about half the pool everyday(I use the excess water to water my lawn. I have a holding tank with a pump for my sprinkler system) and then fill the pool back up with hot water from my Rheem NG tankless water heater to get the temp up to a tempture everyone likes. I really like my Rheem water heater and have been suprised how little my gas bill went up from filling half my pool nearly every day. Summer is winding down, and I won't need to be watering the lawn that much and was trying to figure out a way to convert to an actual pool sytem I could hook up to my pool for the fall and maybe winter. Also it would be a lot less daily work for me. At our old house we had a hot tub that we used almost evereday in the winter, it would be great it the system could get it up to those tempuratures in the winter if I wanted it to.

I know I only have a temporary pool right now, but I don't mind getting my system set up right now for both the intex pool I have and maybe a future man made small pool or hot tub.

Below is where I am currently at.....

Heater - I think I would like to use a Rheem/Raypak NG model, since I reallly like and have been impressed with my Rheem on demand water heaeter, but am not oppsed if you guys think their is a better natural gas heater out there.

Pump - Seems like everyone recomends a variable speed pump, but I have no idea which one??

Filter - Again here I have no idea what to do. Sand filter with filter balls? Really have no idea.

SWG system? - I like the idea of the salt system since my wife does not like a heavy chlorinated pool, she likes how low I keep the chlorine at the moment with my putting in new water everyday. Is SWG worth it?

Don't mind having an overkill unit for a 15ft Intex pool as long as it is efficent. If you guys had a recomendation that would be great! I feel like I am at information overload at the moment with all the great advice I have been reading.

Any help is apreciated!

Nick

Welcome to TFP Nick,

I would recommend a hot tub for late fall, winter and early spring and put a better pump and filter on your pool with a solar cover on it to heat and keep heated water in your pool...

A better 2 speed pump and sand filter would do you good but can be spendy and a VSP pump can save major amounts of money in the long run but cost more money up front as most are over $1000 dollars just for the pump.

This looks like a good pump and filter https://smile.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Swimming-Pool-Filter-3100GPH

I love salt generators and this one would be good for your pool CircuPool SJ-15 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

I hope this helps :)

Welcome to TFP Nick,

I would recommend a hot tub for late fall, winter and early spring and put a better pump and filter on your pool with a solar cover on it to heat and keep heated water in your pool...

A better 2 speed pump and sand filter would do you good but can be spendy and a VSP pump can save major amounts of money in the long run but cost more money up front as most are over $1000 dollars just for the pump.

This looks like a good pump and filter https://smile.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Swimming-Pool-Filter-3100GPH

I love salt generators and this one would be good for your pool CircuPool SJ-15 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

I hope this helps :)
Thanks CowboyCasey this is exactly what I was looking for!

I’m in the same boat as you nick.
I bought a 12x24 Intex ultra and a 12’ easy set.
I put all of the Ultra equipment on the pop up pool but looking forward to when I setup the 12x24.
Eventually I will install a 14x28 inground indoors so I dont mind spending the cash now to buy the proper equipment for the future pool and use it on the 12x24 setup indoors until that time.
I’m a buy once cry once, but just don’t feel comfortable spending the amount of cash to put in a full blown inground at this point in time.
OP, if this is too much of a thread derail, I will make a separate post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.