I really want to fix my pump myself. Help?

Aug 17, 2016
Cincinnati/OH
For the past few months, when I turned my pump off to connect or disconnect the Polaris, it hummed for a few seconds when I turned it back on again and started up roughly, sounding as though it was having some difficulty. A few weeks ago, I woke up from a nap next to the pool and was struck by how smooth the surface of the water was. I realized the pump had turned itself off, and when I checked it, it felt really hot. I went inside to do some research, but it had turned itself back on again by the time I went back outside. I made sure there wasn't any mulch near it at that time, but it continued to turn itself off and back on again for another week or so. Then it tripped the breaker. My husband was out at the pump while I was in the basement flipping the breaker back on, and he said it hummed for a few seconds, then a spark shot out of it and it tripped the breaker again. What should I do? I haven't flipped the breaker since to see if it will even hum again, or whether it is just completely dead and unresponsive now. From what I've read, it sounds as though the start capacitor could have blown, or it could possibly need a new motor. Should I first check the impeller? It seems like there are youtube videos showing how to do that. Should I then check to see if the motor shaft is frozen or the start capacitor has gone bad? Any recommended videos on that? Should I disconnect and remove the entire motor and take it to a nearby Hayward repair shop to have them figure this out? I called the nearby repair shop where I've gone once before when they had a great sale price on liquid chlorine, and they said, "Bring us the whole thing. Sounds like you need a new motor." Does that mean bring them the entire pump, or bring them just the motor? Or should I call the pool service? I really love to take things apart and fool around with mechanical projects, but I've never attempted anything like this before. It seems like there are so many videos on how to do this myself. I've only been in this home for a year, and the binder that came with the home doesn't contain any information about the pool pump. I have no idea how old it is, or whether it could simply be dead of old age. It just seems as though I could save quite a bit of money if I do this myself and it's only the start capacitor. Even if it's the motor, wouldn't that still be cheaper than replacing the entire pump? I just heard from the pool service and he said, "There's not a Hayward repair site around" (not true) and "We do all repairs in the field, but rarely is it cost effective to replace too much on these pumps." Can a newbie like me DIY this project?

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 29
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 29
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 29
At this point, I am pretty sure you just need a new motor (and shaft seal at a minimum, maybe just get the go-kit and replace all the seals while in there).

I would recommend you replace it will a 2-speed version (although if you want the switch to not be on the back of the motor, then you will need another wire run in the conduit). It is really not very difficult to replace the motor ... but I am not sure what your skill level is.

It is certainly cheaper for you to buy a new pump online than from a local installer.

Floragirl,

I completely agree with Jason (I often do). How comfortable are you with 240v single phase wiring? Based on your mechanical aptitude I would guess you can do the rest. It is quite simple so long as you can handle frozen, rusted bolts and have a decent tool set.

If you're not comfortable with the wiring find an electrician that will help you disconnect and reconnect. If you can't find one it may be hard to do this without a good pool service. See if neighbors or people in the area have pool repair companies they use. Call several and get a quote for a pump rebuild and or replace. Give them your model number and a photo of the installation. Tell them you are only getting 3 quotes from reputable companies. This may make a difference and it never hurts. Ask them for local references for similar work and call the references. Tell them you need the following information included in their quote:

• What HP and model number they are replacing it with.
  • How long it will take.
  • Price the parts and the labor separately.
  • What if any adders there would be.
  • How long the installer has been with them and how many jobs similar to this they have done.
  • What is the warranty on the installation, how much on labor and how much on parts

This should help you find the best value (and almost ever not the cheapest quoted price). Check online to see the price of the pump to assist in your evaluation.

Whichever way you go remember you've got an army of experts here to help with each step. Be very comfortable to get advice from them before each step. It's what these incredible people do on here.

Good luck to you!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.