I need so much help....I am no good at this stuff. Plumbing and filter/pump pad questions. Pictures included

Salamandah

Jun 10, 2020
West TN
Ok, I posted yesterday about whether or not to use flex pipe on pump to filter plumbing. I still don't know what I need to be honest. Like, not even the basics. and it is hard to get help when I say "i need this thing that goes in here." but anyway, I have another question. I got all the sand out of the filter. I decided I would clean off the filter pad since I have everything taken apart. And I started wondering if I should make an effort to raise the filter and pump a bit. This pool and patio are at least 25 years old. over the years, leaves and dirt have built up and around the plumbing. Sometimes water moccasins and copper head snakes hang out in this area because they can make a quick get away under the patio. I am going to post some pictures and I would like all the opinions on what I should do. To be honest, after everything I have had to deal with this year, I am ready to fill it in or drain it and turn it into a greenhouse. I don't mind putting in the work but I don't want to have to go through some new disaster every year. Also, I tried to hire a pool company to come and fix this for me but they are so backed up that it will be fall before they can get to me. And I hate to pay someone for something that I should be able to figure out for myself.
picture one is looking at the existing pipes from the south side.
picture two is from the north side
picture 3 is from the east, the deep end of the pool is slightly to my left
picture 4 is straight down. the black hose thing is the waste pipe. We had a salt water generator on it at one point so that is the big union. the funky pipe with the cap on it is the old bottom drain pipe I think. it does suck air so I finally capped it.
picture 5 is the "pad" where the pump and filter sit. You can see this is below the level of the patio and there is a lot of dirt creeping onto it.
picture 6 is another south side view with the waste pipe moved up out of the way.
picture 7 is a straight on view of the existing plumbing from the west.

Should I have a better concrete pad poured for the filter and pump? Should I just stack some more paving stones so they are raised above ground level a little. what would I have to do to connect the pump then? can anyone tell me the name of the pvc piece that goes into the multiport? Do I really need high heat unions? Can I get what I need at Lowe's or Home Depot or do I need to order from a pool store? Pretend I don't know which way to hold a screwdriver and please tell me what to do or tell me some videos I should watch or something.

Attachments

• IMG_7350.jpeg
    IMG_7350.jpeg
    667.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7349.jpeg
    IMG_7349.jpeg
    767.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7348.jpeg
    IMG_7348.jpeg
    935.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7347.jpeg
    IMG_7347.jpeg
    738.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7346.jpeg
    IMG_7346.jpeg
    858.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7345.jpeg
    IMG_7345.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7344.jpeg
    IMG_7344.jpeg
    867.2 KB · Views: 49
If you want to elevate the pump, you could cut the pipe just above that glued union, shorten it the amount that you raise the pad, and then re-glue it with a new union.

I believe the threads for that threaded union (The highest one sticking up with the collar on it) would be buttress threads. I recently installed my chlorine pump and was unable to find them at H-D or Lowes. I ordered them online, but you may be able to find them at a local pool store. If you want to couple PVC to it, you will need a fitting that is male buttress on one side and a glued slip on the other. I used waterway part number 417-4010 for 1 1/2" PVC. Can't tell for certain what size you have.

Last edited:
fitting that is male buttress on one side and a glued slip on the other. I used waterway part number 417-4010 for 1 1/2" PVC. Can't tell for certain what size you have.
Should I get a buttress that is threaded on both ends? then I could have a union at the multiport and at the pump and not have to mess with the pipe in between if I have to take it apart. and thank you, that is exactly what I need!

yes to both of those. I was asking if the buttress that screws into the multiport should be threaded on both ends to make it easier but now I see what you mean...I already have the union on the return and on the pump. so I just need straight pipe, a 90 degree ell for each pipe (or a sweep?) and 3 buttresses for attachment to the multiport. the flow sensor was from a SWG. I might work on that replacement next year. It is an aquarite goldline...so that might be hayward now. I have no idea where this little cell thing is. if I do decide to use the SWG, would I need to replace this whole box or just the pipe thing and this little cell thing?

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpeg
    IMG_7339.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.