I know pool color has been discussed many times but....

ckinchen

Mar 1, 2019
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I know pool color has been discussed many times but I really need a description! My builder uses NPT Stonescapes. I selected Caribbean Blue mini pebble. I had selected this color after looking at pictures on their computer. Because I can't see in person I am a bit worried, they are a bigger builder and I do not think they offer the option to visit pools. It is not a very popular color and thankfully I have seen some images on here, but still nervous. What I want is a color that I can see if there are any critters/snakes in the pool as we will not have a screen, so not a dark color. I want it to be clear enough for that. I do not want a grey tone and I want it to scream "JUMP IN"! I want it to look so refreshing in a hot Florida day that I just want to get in. Caribbean Blue is considered Medium, but how is it different from the other colors? It has that a neutral base, but some pictures it looks tan. I attached a picture that I took next to the other things I selected and its just a neutral color. My pool will only be 5ft with sunshelf. I saw aqua blue looks nice too, but not sure if your supposed to avoid putting a blue color plaster on the sunshelf, if looks odd. If you can describe your pool color I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• swatches.png
    swatches.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201022_174518 (2).jpg
    20201022_174518 (2).jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 81
I have written here extensively on color selection. I can try and find those posts for you, if you like. But I'm pressed for time just now. The most important takeaway though, you cannot select a color from a computer screen and expect to be 100% free from disappointment! It might work out, it might not. That same color will look different on every screen you view it.

At the very least you need samples in your yard. Get them wet, view them throughout the day and evening. Ideally you need to see it in a pool. Don't assume your builder cannot provide that until you ask him. Remember that colors will look bluer in deeper water, greyer in shallow water. Even a wet sample on your patio will not truly represent the color under 5' of water.

More later...

Find a neighbor or a friend, or have the PB provide a recent reference. Drop your sample into their pool on a white background if possible. That will provide you the most realistic view. But even that is hard to imagine to a full pool.
In our replaster, we put 10 or more samples in our pool (which was a standard white plaster) to narrow down our selection of the right pebble color.

Reactions: ckinchen
Thanks @HermanTX and @Dirk . I think I have read everything on here. I did post on nextdoor to see anyone has a Stonescapes pool but nobody has responded. That is why I was hoping for a description. Dirk I think you are the one that said not to go by the name, which I made sure not to do. Thank goodness recently people posted some pictures of Caribbean Blue. Just wish this were easier. I will ask the builder to see if any pools I can see. Nobody has responded to my request on next door, but hopefully someone does!

I like Herman's idea of viewing the samples at depth. Surrounding colors will affect your perception of the color sample, so viewing it on a white background is the way to go. You could try to sink a white sheet or towel, or something like that, I suppose. The size of the sample will be an issue, as he points out. You won't get the full effect, but it's better than a computer screen.

Another way you can use that idea: if you get any takers (neighbors) that will let you see/use their pool for this project, and you drop in a sample (without a white background), and that sample disappears, as in: blends in so well because it's matching, then that is at least a rough estimate of what that sample will look like when applied to an entire pool. If the sample looks a little bluer, or a little greener, or lighter or darker, then you can use your mind's eye to extrapolate that difference across the whole pool.

If you get that far, then throw in a few snakes, maybe a small alligator, too, and then you can get an idea of how visible each will be against your color choice! ;) 🐍🦎🐊🐙🐢

Last edited:
Ha, ha, well I was joking about the snakes, but why not? Do the full on experiment!! At the very least you'll leave your neighbor with a good story about their kookie neighbor! Though you might not get invited to their next pool party... 🤪

Have you considered Aqua Cool mini? It’s a very light blue water apparently but you would definitely see if critters were in it. I wish I had picked that one but I was afraid it would be too light so I went with Aqua White which is a bright blue (still light enough to see through).

EDIT: I just noticed how long ago you posted this so my response is likely irrelevant but if you see my post, what pebble color did you end up selecting and are you happy?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Cath in La Quinta I wish my pool builder was moving quicker but still in waiting for them to dig the main hole! They removed the grass and a part of the driveway and then nothing! So still have time. I was considering the aqua white because I do think the sunshelf would look nicer with a lighter color verses blue. But have not seen anything in person so really don't know.

As I mentioned, the shelf will be less blue than the rest of the pool, so you will get a two-tone effect. But if your PB has the skill, it's possible to actually have two different colors of finish: say a rich blue color for the main pool, and a sandy color for the shelf. Like a beach at the ocean! You can even cover the shelf with tile or stone.

b8f4d87b81846fae94541b35d1f78384.jpg

Our pool is being done right now and I’m fixing to have to choose a color, but it’s so hard! I was hoping someone on here had any info or pictures of the quartzscapes cuppacino. I guess it’s not a very popular color because I’ve only found one picture of it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.