West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am having the same problem. I just did an OCLT last night and had 0 drop in FC. The pool has been crystal clear the whole time. However, I have to clean my filter at least once a week. I know that at 175 feet it is a little undersized but it used to be better. I am just wondering that since this is the filter I installed after we replastered the pool two years ago there might be some residual plaster stuff that is cause the premature rise in pressure. Soaked in TSP over night and no difference. Maybe its just time for a new filter.

FC. 5.5
CC. 0
PH. 7.8
TA. 70
CH. 350
CYA. 50

I know the CYA is low. I struggle to keep it higher. Will add some today. We use the spa a lot and that seems to eat through the CYA. I think I am the only pool owner who struggles to maintain CYA high.

Are you turning your SWG off when doing the OCLT? CYA degrades over time but usually it is only a few points per month. Are you cleaning the filter because the pressure is going up? What is the clean pressure and what pressure are you cleaning it at?

If your filter pressure drops when you clean it and then rises, you are catching something with the filter.

Since your water is clear, I would assume it is algae you cannot see.......that's common. Even if you pass the OCLT, the pressure rise is concrete proof that something is in your pool water.

If you cannot keep your CYA where you like, why not use pucks?

Yes, I turn off the SWG to perform the OCLT. I am cleaning the filter before the pressure goes up. The clean pressure is 11 and I clean around 15 or 16. When I clean it dirt and grass gets rinsed out, but it just seems like it is overly sensitive (if you can say that about a filter). If the new one acts the same, then a SLAM is probably in order.

It’s possible that I have algae but I am pretty good at keeping my FC levels, and test often.

I use pucks when I travel (which is a lot). It keeps the PH more in line and makes sure I don’t have a FC miss when I am away.

I think I just have to get used to the fact that when we use the spa at least 4 times a week at 98 to 100 degrees we degrading the CYA.

Cleaning the filter at a psi of 15-16 seems exactly the right thing to do.....just recognize you are filtering SOMETHING from your pool and, if you don't see anything, it is most likely algae.

Most everyone will gladly sell you a new filter but the same thing will happen........something is being filtered from your pool and your filter is doing exactly what it is supposed to.......catch it.

Not really sure why your CYA is dropping (other than a lot of fresh water input) but, if you increase your puck usage, that will help your FC stay up and your pH stay down.

Great idea for the skimmer socks. I just ordered some and will try that out. Cheap way to save me some time.

Also since I plan on increasing my puck usage, I am going to need to test my CYA more often. I think I read somewhere that the mix of pool water to reagent is 50/50. That way I can mix 20ml of solution which will let me measure up to 50ppm, which I will always be over. I really want to make sure I don’t overshoot.

Is 50/50 the right mix or I need to use the measurements in the bottle?

I think I read somewhere that the mix of pool water to reagent is 50/50. That way I can mix 20ml of solution which will let me measure up to 50ppm, which I will always be over. I really want to make sure I don’t overshoot.

You need to follow the instructions on which ever CYA tester you are using. I wouldn't go doctoring up some ratio test. I'd follow the instructions to a T.

Maddie :flower:

I think I read somewhere that the mix of pool water to reagent is 50/50. That way I can mix 20ml of solution which will let me measure up to 50ppm, which I will always be over. I really want to make sure I don’t overshoot.

Yes, it is a 50/50 ratio so what you are thinking will work fine. That said, please mind what YS said and be careful not to "trick up" the tests too much. The cost savings are really chump change and, in most cases simply not even worth considering. The pool is just worth a thousands time more and your testing needs to be precise.

Well it turns out it actually was the filter. I ran another OCLT and passed so I just replaced the filter anyway. I figured if the new filter presented the same way then I could just do a SLAM. The new filter pressure is holding steady. I have also added skimmer socks so that is probably helping.

I have also discovered that my CYA testing is probably the result of testing rather than dropping CYA. I need to make sure that I test in the same spot only on bright sunny days at the same time of day. CYA came out at 70 today without me having added anything so probably just need to get better at testing under the same conditions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.