I have both a VSP and single speed pump; how to configure?

Cpeterfeso

Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2022
Cumming ga
Hello everyone, new pool owner here; really appreciate TFP. Our 15,000 gallon inground, pebble, pool with spa was finally completed this spring. The pool is pumped by a Jandy FHPM 2.0 single speed pump. We also have a big, 32 ft water slide and a stone waterfall. Because the slide was installed this year, it is powered by a Jandy VSP with 1.65 THP (Powers both slide and waterfall). Everything works fine right now. We live in Atlanta, GA and the pool will not be covered in the winter. My question is, does it make sense for me to switch my pumps around and use the VSP for the pool and the single speed for the slide/waterfall. We have no need for variable speeds with the slide/waterfall. Do the benefits of a VSP for the pool outweigh the cost/challenge of switching the pumps? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7542.JPG
    IMG_7542.JPG
    684.4 KB · Views: 6
Did the PB set it up that way because you need control of your pump output for your waterfall to operate properly.
My view, is that your pool is circulating for 10-20 hrs a day so you would get more benefit of the VS pump on the pool. If the slide and waterfall can operate properly with a single speed output then I would switch it. If not, then purchase a VS for your pool and maintain the VS for your waterfall/slide.

Reactions: PoolGate
I believe the footprint of those 2 pumps are identical so it should be a simple matter to swap them. Looks like the VSP communications cable has enough slack as well to move to the other position. Aqualink will also need to be reprogrammed.

Here is a chart of pump runtime costs. You can figure the single speed at 3450 RPMs. In some states it is no longer allowed to install single speed pumps. Your builder screwed you over with that one. Be sure to thank him. It may have been old stock he has been trying to dump.

vsp-costs-b.jpg

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.