I hate SLAM! But I also know it works.

brian987

LifeTime Supporter
Hello all...it's been a minute since I have visited...& am again surprised about how much the site has improved from content to appearance...congrats to whoever is responsible for a job well done. I suspect that would be a collaboration type congrats. Thanks for continuing to make our pool lives simpler.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we recently had to discontinue our pool maintenance so we could continue to eat & remain alive. Over at least 2, possibly up to 3 months, we did not do anything to maintain the pool, resulting in a deep green sludge of a mess! Fortunately, this was a temporary situation that has now been resolved...meaning for the last 5 days I have been in the heck known here as SLAM.

I like to believe that I was simply carrying on the deep southern Catholic tradition, and my Mother's legacy..."If you just don't say it out loud, it isn't really happening!" Hate it or Love it, SLAM works!

Now...I am currently on the downside of the SLAM & I find myself pondering something very important! Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that a dead algae bloom, upon being captured in my Polaris 280's net of pool refuse, is amazingly heavy! I don't recall discovering that before in the past. This very afternoon, I was brushing my pool, again, when I noticed The Polaris 280 was attempting a new trick...it was laying on the side with two wheels, struggling to upright itself...and it had been attempting this for about 20 minutes...to no avail.

Upon closer inspection, I quickly discovered that it's debris bag, although only half full, was dragging it over onto it's side, because of the extraordinary weight of the dead algae bloom. I looked it over carefully and could find no other logical explanation. The bag, though only half full, was causing my 280 to lay down on the job. That's when I realized that the reverse cycle had not been able to upright itself, nor save the day.

All kidding aside, I was actually quite surprised by the weight of the dead bloom once I removed the debris bag so I could empty it. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed that, or if I needed to be concerned about getting too old to attend the local 4th of July fireworks celebration. Can't deal with the traffic or the crowds. COVID made me realize that I loved to quarantine & just how easy our life has been since we had a legitimate excuse to, in the words of Nancy Reagan , "Just say no!"

Happy 4TH all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I like to believe that I was simply carrying on the deep southern Catholic tradition, and my Mother's legacy..."If you just don't say it out loud, it isn't really happening!"
I promise you that, while it may be a Catholic thing, it is NOT an exclusively Southern thing.

Hello all...it's been a minute since I have visited...& am again surprised about how much the site has improved from content to appearance...congrats to whoever is responsible for a job well done. I suspect that would be a collaboration type congrats. Thanks for continuing to make our pool lives simpler.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we recently had to discontinue our pool maintenance so we could continue to eat & remain alive. Over at least 2, possibly up to 3 months, we did not do anything to maintain the pool, resulting in a deep green sludge of a mess! Fortunately, this was a temporary situation that has now been resolved...meaning for the last 5 days I have been in the heck known here as SLAM.

I like to believe that I was simply carrying on the deep southern Catholic tradition, and my Mother's legacy..."If you just don't say it out loud, it isn't really happening!" Hate it or Love it, SLAM works!

Now...I am currently on the downside of the SLAM & I find myself pondering something very important! Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that a dead algae bloom, upon being captured in my Polaris 280's net of pool refuse, is amazingly heavy! I don't recall discovering that before in the past. This very afternoon, I was brushing my pool, again, when I noticed The Polaris 280 was attempting a new trick...it was laying on the side with two wheels, struggling to upright itself...and it had been attempting this for about 20 minutes...to no avail.

Upon closer inspection, I quickly discovered that it's debris bag, although only half full, was dragging it over onto it's side, because of the extraordinary weight of the dead algae bloom. I looked it over carefully and could find no other logical explanation. The bag, though only half full, was causing my 280 to lay down on the job. That's when I realized that the reverse cycle had not been able to upright itself, nor save the day.

All kidding aside, I was actually quite surprised by the weight of the dead bloom once I removed the debris bag so I could empty it. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed that, or if I needed to be concerned about getting too old to attend the local 4th of July fireworks celebration. Can't deal with the traffic or the crowds. COVID made me realize that I loved to quarantine & just how easy our life has been since we had a legitimate excuse to, in the words of Nancy Reagan , "Just say no!"

Happy 4TH all.
signature: This is my 3rd pool to convert to BBB method This no longer exists but you did great.

Reactions: brian987
Glad you’re back! Sorry it’s because u need to SLAM Process 😩 I’m sure you’ll have it cleared up in no time!
Yeah, It’s Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) now - mostly due to the lack of actual need for baking soda & borax on a regular basis. (It was really always more about the Bleach than the other B’s anyway).
A more encompassing acronym with less emphasis on specific chemicals & more emphasis on just giving your pool what it needs & nothing it doesn’t based upon your accurate testing 😄

So...while I am here..as I stated before...on the tail end of my SLAM. My water is very clear again & testing well. I am left with what I assume is a dead algae bloom...it’s kind of tan with an undertone of green...others have described it as sand but I think it acts more like a powder. It doesn’t appear to be growing. When I brush, it becomes a cloud...part of it goes into the filter (have now cleaned filter 5 times over 7 days) the remaining settles mostly on the walls where they meet the floor...the Polaris mostly just stirs it up as it’s too fine for it’s bag to gather.

So is it likely it’s a dead bloom? If so, is there a quicker way to remove it?

Latest test results from this AM:
FC...2
pH...7.8
TA...80
CH...275
CYA...40
CSI...0.14

I added needed chems to adjust FC & pH. Passed OCLT night before last.

Keep with slam level as often as possible - multiple times per day, when below slam level for your cya algae regains a foothold.
You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where it may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

SLAM ON 🤩

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OMG!:oops: I was in need of replacement regeants, etc…but my old plastic case was cracking and heavily stained, so I ordered a whole new kit. Just found it on my porch…it is TF Pro w/ the magnetic stirrer! I had sincerely forgotten how clear the tubes could be…you know…they get cloudy…a little more cloudy…I am getting older and can’t see as well….Wow! Look baby…it’s not just me. I guess I should have replaced the tubes…at least!?!

For anyone on the fence on this…it is amazing. So much more compact…and it holds everything securely…and everything has its place. This should stay nicer looking for a long time to come. Any other anal retentive folks. You won’t regret it.

To whoever designed this…thank you.

All the gay boys will appreciate that “just because something is practical doesn’t mean it has to be ugly!”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.