I Hate My Pump and Filter

Oct 21, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
I've been chasing my tail on this. About six weeks ago, I fired my pool guy. He did a mediocre job. All he did was skim the pool, shock it, and keep up the water and pH levels. He didn't do much, but looking back, I had zero pool issues. But I was confident I could do his job with less money and hassle.

The sad truth is, those menial tasks are the least of my worries. I long for the day I can return to them. Since I took over the job, I have spent every weekend fighting pump and filter problems. It's true: I've made some good progress, deconstructed some of the system, and learned a lot about my pool and how it works. Ultimately, I have a pool full of DE that just comes out the returns, and a system that, when a vacuum is attached won't consistently pump water because it appears to pull in air.

Generous amounts of persistence and way more money spent than I would have saved keeping the pool guy have produced only small victories, most of them moral. At least back then I had water my kids could swim in.

I worry that I will have to bring in a new pool professional who will charge me out the ying-yang to fix this. He's gonna tell me I need a new pump, filter, or something else. And I won't be able to disagree. All my efforts have not solved anything.

So, if you'll entertain me one more time, I'll describe the problems and see if you can offer any suggestions. My current situation is this:

About three weeks ago I posted pictures of my filter here:

No Suction

This filter was identified as a DE filter. It had a lot of white sandy material on the inside, a bunch of grids with the same material, only dirtier stuck to them. I removed, cleaned, and replaced the grids. I added about 5 lbs of DE. The boneheaded move I made was to add it to the filter tank. I looked back on another poster's advice and saw that I glossed over the part where he said to put it in the skimmer intake. The fruit of my oversight was that the majority of the DE got pumped into the pool.

I managed to get the pump and vacuum working together. I was sure that the vacuum attached to my pump would pick it up (it did), run it through the system (it did), and be caught by the grids (it did not). Instead, the DE and other dirt simply moved through the system and back out the returns, completing the circle of life.

This morning, with the pump turned off for quite some time and the pump basket off, I opened my filter. It seems to be holding pressure well because I just couldn't remove the top. There was too much pressure. I had to open the bleeder valve and wait for air to be sucked in enough to remove the pressure. Then I pulled it off.

Inside I saw the grids as I left them. The DE is unevenly stuck to the outside of the grids. Some grids have large clumps of DE. Others have a thin layer, and others have very little. The innermost grid has no DE at all. There is DE at the bottom of the tank. Not much, maybe an 1/8" deep in places.

The inside part on the bottom of the tank that holds the grids, I believe that is the manifold, will spin in place, but I can't remove it or tighten or loosen it.

I've read in other posts that leaking DE can be the result of the grids being improperly seated. I replaced the grids after cleaning the same way they came out. It wasn't hard. There are eight holes in the manifold. I just put them back in there. There was no struggle getting them out or putting them back in. They are all the same size. They all stay in with a modest press fit.

I'd love to show you pictures, but TFP only allows 250K of images to be posted, and I can't delete them to make room for others. Maybe I can post my new photos elsewhere and provide links to them.

So that's where I'm at. I'm gonna go back outside and hose off the grids, put them back, run the pump and see if I can pick up any of that DE in the pool. If you have any suggestions, I'd welcome them. I hate my pool. Thanks for listening.

You can use photobucket or another photo hosting site and paste the links into your post. I think the images will help us troubleshoot your problem. What brand of filter do you have? Also does it have a bump lever or knob, or does it have a push/pull valve or a multiport valve? Some pictures of your equipment pad and valves will help too.

You can use photobucket or another photo hosting site and paste the links into your post. I think the images will help us troubleshoot your problem. What brand of filter do you have? Also does it have a bump lever or knob, or does it have a push/pull valve or a multiport valve? Some pictures of your equipment pad and valves will help too.

Hi. I have posted some pics here:

My Pool - Google Photos

Not sure what brand of filter it is. I don't see any label, except made in the U.S.A. I also don't see any of the controls on it you asked about. Hopefully the pictures will help. Thanks.

Ok. You came to the right place. Pictures help us help you. There are enough experts here that younwill have this back and your pool clearer than it ever has been.

everything seems OK at first glance to me, except you have DE all over the place.

Another thing is DE+filter conditioner? That seems a little weird.

Im not sure why this is, but DE filters work pretty poorly fairly quickly without De in them. So what I'd suggest is the following.

1) be sure your filter is clean and assembled properly. If you are not sure, find a manufacturers manual or exploded view. My gut tells me the rotating manifold is not an issue, but I'd check into that just the same. Maybe you can post the brand, model and size in your signature so we can help more.
2) get some regular old DE. Not sure what this fancy stuff is, maybe someone else can help with that. I doubt it is any cause for issues, but for me, take that variable out of the equation.
3) backwash filter.
4) add DE correctly to the filter
5) now vacuum
6) let churned up DE settle and Vacuum
7) repeat 6) and 7)

I had had a bad DE filter element that was leaking DE, and it took me a while to get the DE out.

So I'm assuming when you say 36 gallon filter, you mean 36 sq ft. The closest filter I found with a quick search is a Triton SMBW 4036, with the 36 I'm assuming is the sq ft. Is there any indication this is the case?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. I looked up your DE. It says pure DE, so that's good. How did you figure out how much to add?

So I'm assuming when you say 36 gallon filter, you mean 36 sq ft. The closest filter I found with a quick search is a Triton SMBW 4036, with the 36 I'm assuming is the sq ft. Is there any indication this is the case?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. I looked up your DE. It says pure DE, so that's good. How did you figure out how much to add?

I got some advice from this post.

No Suction

- - - Updated - - -

That's the Purex 2000 Series. You can Google to find a parts and user manual. Purex is now owned by Pentair. The backwash valve is under tank. There's a lever that moves from filter to backwash

Ok, so that's what that is. I saw it and didn't know what to do with it. What's the purpose of a backwash filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It appears that there is a built in backwash valve. In one position, the filter takes in water, and puts out cleaner water. In the other position, the system takes water in the way it normally would go out and then dumps the water out the backwash output. What this does is reverse the flow of the filter, but instead of dumping all the gunk back into the pool, it dumps it out the backwash drain. So most of the DE and most of the gunk in the filter can be washed out, you lose only a little pool water, and then you can put it back into the normal mode, add more dE and then you didn't have to take the filter apart.

Not as good as taking it apart and giving it a deep cleaning, but way faster and way easier.

Most filters have external backwash valves, in your case, it is built in. Pretty cool.

But... more complicated.

And... maybe just maybe part of your challenge. I think it may make sense for you to cycle it [wihout the pump on]. It is a long shot, but as a minimum you may learn something else that will help diagnose the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.