I/G Light in A/G Pool

TomU

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Wyoming, Michigan
Has anyone out there installed an in-ground light in an above-ground pool? It looks like the niches designed for I/G vinyl pools would probably work on an A/G pool. I'd really like something brighter than the typical A/G lights, and I'd like a more professional looking flush mount. I'm wondering if spa lights might be a good choice (due to the smaller niche size), or maybe the Pentair AuqaLuminIII. I've also researched the Pentair SunStar, but with the bulb that's in it, I question how bright it will really be. I wish someone out there had a pool with every different light installed in it for a nice side by side comparison. :shock: I just opened my pool 2 days ago, and I want to figure this out before I raise the water level back up to where it needs to be. (It's about 12" low so cutting a hole would be really easy right now.) FWIW, this is for a 27' round pool with a dark blue bottom, light blue sides, and 6' deep end.

I installed a Aqua Illiminator from poolcenter.com recently and am not too happy with it. It only lights about 1/2 the pool and that is without the red/green/red light attachments. Not too happy right now. I dont know anything else that is out there, but wanted to give you a heads up on this particular one.

Chris

I went ahead and installed the Hayward Elite light. It seems to do an ok job. I actally like how it looks from a distance. Since my liner is blue the pool gives off a nice blue glow. I'll try to take some pictures of it sometime.

With electrical inspection coming up I decided I didn't want to have to explain why I installed an in-ground niche in an above ground pool. Plus I'd have to figure out how to get the conduit from the niche above the water line into a junction box. The Elite was a much simpler solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.