I did everything wrong, HELP!

Maybe my SLAM thread will help your wife come around? I opened my pool myself and SLAM'd it successfully in 18 hours and I had zero experience with pools before that. It wasn't nearly as green as yours, though, so yours will probably take longer and need more chlorine. Ever since the SLAM I've had crystal-clear water just by adding chlorine as necessary every few days and a single dose of muriatic acid to bring my pH back down to recommended levels.

My pool's previous owners used a pool guy who was also $50/week -- that adds up fast. I spoke to him and he tried to convince me that pools are so much work and how my pool can "turn green overnight!!", which sounded ridiculous (and as it turns out, I was right).

I think I've spent maybe $200 total on chemicals so far since early May, including my TF-100 test kit and the chlorine needed for the SLAM. Had I used the pool guy that previously 'maintained' it, I'd be out a few hundred dollars just from having him open it, plus $300 in weekly charges since early May, plus chemical costs. This savings is adding up fast.

I love this site and all of the resources here...as stated repeatedly, you MUST get the right test kit, avoid the pool store "experts", read Pool School, use Pool Math, and save your self ultimately TONS of money and headache by literally following the advice here...

Hopefully, this will make you feel better...literally year after year taking my water to be tested and buying all of the chemicals the pool store (Anthony Sylvan mind you!!!) recommended, I was always "chasing" the right water and trying to maintain it...spending hundreds and sometimes a thousand + $$$ on chemicals, etc. I had "acid washes" done, lithium shocks, you name it...all "recommended" by them...

Then, 3 years ago or so I found this place...imagine my surprise learning that putting shock in the pool every week plus the maintenance tabs was CAUSING (one could say on purpose!) my CYA to get to unmanageable levels, necessitate me draining half the pool and then starting the same vicious cycle over and over again...EVERY TIME I brought my water in to be tested, there was some chemical or chemicals needed to "fix" the problem....I ponied up every time but never could get my water quite right....

As recommended here, bought the right test kit, learned how to SLAM (typically when opening the pool), switched to using household bleach, baking soda (yup, Arm & Hammer), Borax (yup, the store one!), etc. has saved me $$$ thousands, plus my water literally sparkles!!! Can NOT say enough about TFP...it is awesome!

PLEASE be patient and follow the advice provided here...you will not regret it!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.