Hurricane question

danman

Sep 5, 2016
Spring, Tx
I didn't see a storm section so I hope this is OK to post here. We have the potential here in Houston to get a LOT of rain, according to the forecasts. So my question is about draining my pool a little. If I should or should not? My pool is probably at least a couple 12" - 14" higher than my patio at my back door. I've never weathered a storm with a pool so I'm curious what everyone's opinion is. I don't know if it makes sense to drain it couple inches. Or do I just let the auto drain handle it, and leave it be. Thanks everyone.

Draining the pool some is fine, but I suspect it will overflow anyways. We should get dumped on in the next 3-4 days. Between heavy rain bands you could try to pump-out some water, but it may be futile until everything passes. Most important would be ensuring your pump and any other electrical equipment doesn't get saturated/flooded. If there's a chance, cut-off power. Also secure any furniture or items in the area that could get blown into the pool or damage something. The water level and chemistry can be adjusted once Harvey passes. Good luck and stay safe.

You might want to bring your FC level up to SLAM levels especially if you think your electricity could be off for a few days or in case you have to evacuate.

If the electricity does go out, you can still add FC, just make sure that you use a brush to really mix up the water.

Good luck (from a native gulf coaster)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.