NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
My builder started construction but came to a halt at this point because they can’t get skimmers. They’re telling me that Hayward skimmers are backed up and they can’t get them anywhere. They have tons of pools waiting on this as well. I’m stuck waiting for the concrete collar to be poured before they can complete the plumbing and they can’t really move along to another phase of the build either. Quite frustrating. I asked them for a part number so I can hunt it down myself but they said it’s a part number for their distributor and not Hayward because they order entire pool kits custom to their specs. I haven’t heard of something this dumb before. I understand there are shortages of materials everywhere but it’s frustrating to be sitting here staring at a partially built pool waiting for something as simple as skimmers.
Can anyone here comment about availability of Hayward skimmer kits?

My builder told me the same thing. Anything plastic/PVC is beyond backed up. Sure Home Depot has 12 pieces of PVC pipe but the builder needs two 18 wheelers worth and *if* he can get them they are astronomically expensive.

He also said that getting stairs (acrylic/plastic) were just as bad.

The more I think about it the more I think I will wait till next year to build... hope and pray they start making tons of everything and the prices go down :)

The more I think about it the more I think I will wait till next year to build... hope and pray they start making tons of everything and the prices go down :)
Luckily everything was priced into my contract last year so no price increase. At this point it’s just delays from supplies which is quite annoying.

The most popular Hayward skimmer is the SP1084 closely behind that is the wide mouth version SP1085.

I did a quick search and found several sites that appear to have them in stock. I would definitely call before I ordered.
Hayward AutoSkim w/ 2-inch Ports Vinyl / Fiberglass - SP1084 - INYOPools.com
Hayward Skimmer Auto-Skim 2in. Fip Square | In The Swim
Hall Mark Pool Supplies - 2"FPT IG VL/FG Skimmer W/ Square Lid
Hayward | Skimmer Hay W/SQ Cover 2"Threaded Vinyl/Fiberglass |SP1084

There are other brand skimmers that are the same size and will work just as good as Hayward...you just need to know which Hayward Model they are planning to use.

You have some red flags with your builder that I would be a little concerned with:
- If he is really waiting on skimmers for multiple projects...he should be happy to give you a model number so you could find them on your own. I don't care what part # he uses to order from his supply house, they are a specific model that you can buy in many places, and any installer should know what a 1084 and 1085 looks like from 30' away.

- You said your waiting on the concrete collar to be poured before they can complete the plumbing. I assume you are talking about the footer/bond beam that goes around the base of the walls. You typically pour the bond beam before you do any plumbing, with the exception of the main drains. So if you have main drains and they are already plumbed up the side and above where the bond beam will be...the next step is to pour the bond beam. The plumbing for the skimmers and returns goes on top of that concrete. Putting it below can cause undue stress to the pipes if something shifts and forget it if you have to dig up and repair something in the future. If you have walls set, you really want to get that concrete around the base of the walls poured as quickly as possible to help keep rain from washing things out and moving the walls out of square.

Three weeks ago I ordered and received and installed skimmers for my pool. Yeah they are in short supply, but calling around they can be found. First place I ordered them from informed me that actually did not have them that it would be a while. So I got lucky and the next day they were on Amazon for even cheaper. Find out what skimmers your PB was planning on using, as others have said there are very similar ones available from multiple manufactures (just choose an establish brand so replacement parts are readily available, weir doors, baskets, covers).

Reactions: jmtaylor1228
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.