HTH PODS Stabilizer

brucehenson

Gold Supporter
Nov 27, 2018
Taylors/SC
Any opinions to offer related to the HTH 8 oz. pods for adding Cyanuric Acid? Looks like a good idea...no sock required.

Edit: Once I opened the package I see that a sock is still necessary. There is a thin plastic bag that the granules are in so I used a sock after all.

Last edited:
I am using up a bag of them this year - they are finer than the Clorox Brand CYA that I have used in the past, so they dissolve much quicker.

I put them in my skimmer, which has a hair net in it to act as my "sock". Since I don't have to measure and pour CYA into a sock and tie it off it makes things a teeny tiny bit easier.

Not sure I will buy them again - but they do work as advertised.

The product does dissolve much faster than the other brands that I have used. I was able to completely use 16 oz. in two hours by working the sock.

I’ll test in a couple of days and check the effect. Probably will add more to target between 70 and 80 ppm. Currently I am at 60 ppm.

I am using up a bag of them this year - they are finer than the Clorox Brand CYA that I have used in the past, so they dissolve much quicker.

I put them in my skimmer, which has a hair net in it to act as my "sock". Since I don't have to measure and pour CYA into a sock and tie it off it makes things a teeny tiny bit easier.

Not sure I will buy them again - but they do work as advertised.

Monty,

You are spot on, I have applied 2 pounds (4 pods, 2 yesterday and 2 today) and if you “work” the sock it will dissolve in less than an hour. I think it’s a great product provided it actually works, won’t know until I can test but no reason to believe that it shouldn’t. I also like knowing exactly how much I am using. ?

Bruce

Monty,

You are spot on, I have applied 2 pounds (4 pods, 2 yesterday and 2 today) and if you “work” the sock it will dissolve in less than an hour. I think it’s a great product provided it actually works, won’t know until I can test but no reason to believe that it shouldn’t. I also like knowing exactly how much I am using. ?

Bruce

I’m a little confused about the sock part. I need to add a lot. My CYA dropped to 0. Pool Math says I need 6 lbs so 12 pods. The POD bag says to only put 1 pod in the skimmer at a time.

I’ve been putting in 1 pod, checking to see if it dissolved, and then adding the next one.

Do I need to use a sock to prevent the chemicals from damaging the skimmer or equipment?

I’m a little confused about the sock part. I need to add a lot. My CYA dropped to 0. Pool Math says I need 6 lbs so 12 pods. The POD bag says to only put 1 pod in the skimmer at a time.

I’ve been putting in 1 pod, checking to see if it dissolved, and then adding the next one.

Do I need to use a sock to prevent the chemicals from damaging the skimmer or equipment?
Socks in front of the returns allow the pump to stop running without potentially having standing water with CYA (which is acidic) sitting in it. So it’s a little safer in case something happens.

Reactions: Learning

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have used these since my pool was finished earlier this year. They work well, but I still use the sock method. I tired it w/o the sock but the plastic wrap dissolves too fast leaving stabilizer sitting in your skimmer. Here’s what I do: Put them in a sock in the skimmer. Let them soak for an hour. Then come back and squeeze the sock for about 15mins and it’ll all be dissolved(that was with 2lbs). I will definitely continue to use these. It’s simple and reasonably priced.

I've been putting them in the skimmer that has a hair net. My experience with the pods is that they're gone within an hour. I assume they're dissolved and not just sitting in the skimmer since I don't think the granules will fit through the hairnet.

I put mine (4 pods) in a bucket with pool water, dissolved fairly quick, then poured slowly in front of return in deep in of pool.

I have used the bucket method, not intentionally, I became concerned that I had overdosed early in the season so I pulled the sock and placed it in a bucket of pool water until I decided it was okay to pour it in.

I prefer to use two of the 1/2 pound (16 oz) pods in a sock in the skimmer. If you work the sock every 15 minutes or so they will dissolve in about an hour. I become concerned about using the pods without a sock because I speculate that the granules become trapped in the filter where they probably still dissolve but I prefer to work the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.