How to wire new Hayward TriStar VSP to OmniLogic

esb

Jun 27, 2012
I have a new Hayward VSP pump that I got to replace an Ecostar that would trip the GFCI breaker all of the time. I have an OmniLogic controller. The problem I’m facing is that the control panel in the TriStar is connected to the same connector / automation control lines that are supposed to be used for the connection to the OmniLogic controller. There is a separate header block for those control lines that I am supposed to use for the OmniLogic connection. However to use that header, I have to disconnect the local controller / control panel. Is that right? Or am I supposed to connect them together to the same control lines (doubtful since its a serial connection)? Does the local control panel just not get used when connected to an OmniLogic?

Separately, how do I find the HUA for the new TriStar? I read somewhere that it is on a sticker inside the electronics compartment, but I don’t see anything obviously it. I also have an issue with the control wiring. Why my pool was installed, they pulled the control wiring through the same conduit as AC power. However the TriStar completely separates the low voltage control area from the AC area. There is a solid metal wall between them that the cover seals completely. Any ideas for how to get around that? For now, I only have the cover attached loosely.

So I've answered a couple of my questions. The TriStar VSP does work with the local controller disconnected. Just connecting the OmniLogic works to effectively control it. The OmniLogic will auto-detect the TriStar VSP. You do have to tap on the address first before it will show the list.

I don't yet have a good solution to the wiring / routing issue though. I may have to drill a hole in the wall between the two area.

You figured out the first part. For the wiring you need seperate wire paths. You cannot mix low voltage and line power in the same conduit. They make a watertight connector that threads into the pump housing and has a compression nut with gasket that seals directly over round wire sheathing. They are available at any electrical supply house

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.