How to turn off swg?

kewpie

Feb 19, 2017
Chapel Hill, NC
Hi, based on advice here, I should not have swg on when pump is off and the only way I can do that is if I unplug the swg before I turn pump off. My installer says to leave swg plugged in and it will only generate salt if water flow through. Is that what I should do? Just leave it plugged in and turn on and off pump daily? I don’t see any on off switch on swg and can’t imagine unplugging being the only way to turn it off.

Thanks!

Your installer is telling you to do something dangerous. Another member just last month had an explosion doing the exact same thing your installer told you to do. The correct way to connect a SWG is to wire it to use the same circuit as the pump. When the pump is not getting power the saltwater generator also will not get power. Some ways to do this are to wire them both into a timer switch. The instructions with the SWG most likely specify that the flow switch is not to be relied upon for safety reasons. SWGs produce hydrogen gas as a byproduct and with no flow the gas builds up in your plumbing and has been known to ignite explosively.

Yikes, good to know. I will get a timer set up when I get my 2 speed pump delivered...so for now, plugging and unplugging is ok? Is the timer installed next to the gfic plug on the post next to pump or in the garage next to gfic breaker switch?

The timer can be used as a manual switch as well. It is convenient to have it next to the pump/filter so you can turn them off when backflushing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.