amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I got a steal on a party pack of vinyl pool floats this summer from Walmart. They were so cheap, all I asked of them is that they hold up for the weekend when all my kids and grandchildren were here for the weekend. Welp. They did way more than that - sturdy, large, held air with the original air fill all summer. And became a favorite for me to float around the pool, much to my surprise. So I want to keep them in good condition. I'll be deflating them 'cause I need the room in my shed. And they'll go in a secure plastic tote as this is the boonies and mice/squirrels/chipmunks are a constant problem. I was thinking of sprinkling them with cornstarch so they don't stick together but hubby thinks that might attract the above mentioned vermin.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Baby powder ? The cheap but still shut securely Rubbermaid tubs are about $8 each. The tough ones (yellow and black) are up to $15. You can jam alot of deflated floats in either.

Also, because you clearly live where there is winter, we bought snow tubes and of course it didn't snow for a few years. They became pool toys and they lasted YEARS being thicker and less prone to popping. Some had a solid middle which I cut out of the donut with a razor. Be on the lookout when you see snow tubes on clearance.

I deflate all of mine and neatly put them in heavy duty storage bins (not Rubbermaid brand, but same idea), bring them inside and store in the basement during the winter. When it’s time to open and use the floats, I use my electric air pump and enjoy them and repeat the cycle! And as you can tell by my username and posts, I have LOTS of floats lol! I have never sprinkled them with anything, but use some random towels between “levels” of floats (if that makes sense?) so it’s not as bad. They do tend to stick together a bit but it never caused any damage to my floats. Make sure you clean them very thoroughly (while still inflated so you can get all the crevices lol) and let them COMPLETELY dry before deflating and packing them away. Any packed in moisture can cause some pretty stinky floats come opening time!

Added note: @Newdude how dare you not tag me in this post? You know I’m the float queen!

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Cool. Fortunately, my floats are dry - they are stored in the shed when not in use. Otherwise I'd be chasing them all over the property due to winds 🙄 Basement not an option, crawlspace with difficult access ☹️ Stinky is a big concern, try as I might, cover and water tubes always a treat when I remove them from summer storage. Not sure I have towels to spare - 2 indoor outdoor huskies in wet climate tend to claim all but the newest towels!

Gives my food for thought, though. Thanks

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I got a steal on a party pack of vinyl pool floats this summer from Walmart. They were so cheap, all I asked of them is that they hold up for the weekend when all my kids and grandchildren were here for the weekend. Welp. They did way more than that - sturdy, large, held air with the original air fill all summer. And became a favorite for me to float around the pool, much to my surprise. So I want to keep them in good condition. I'll be deflating them 'cause I need the room in my shed. And they'll go in a secure plastic tote as this is the boonies and mice/squirrels/chipmunks are a constant problem. I was thinking of sprinkling them with cornstarch so they don't stick together but hubby thinks that might attract the above mentioned vermin.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Uh. About those pool floats. Deflating. Big. BIG pain in the butt🙄

I bought a Coleman electric pump at target. Most small compressors aren't designed to run continuously and they take forever for pool floats.

This guy made quick work of them. And here's the best part. The nozzle swapped from the air outlet to the air inlet and it was a deflater too.

Of all things, TFP royalty is all over the questions page. :ROFLMAO:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.