How to refresh the gaps between gunite pool and paver bricks?

Blue Horse

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
Fremont, California 94539
My pool is made of gunite (concrete), and flagstones at the edge. Noticed the gap between the bricks/pavers and the flagstones are widening and the gaps are showing in the photo attached.

Any idea on how to fix this gap? Just a mater of removing this old materials there (rubbery to the touch), and refill with new materials? What is this material?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 39CEC534-397C-426F-A8C0-5F51EBB3410D.jpeg
    39CEC534-397C-426F-A8C0-5F51EBB3410D.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 49
My pool is made of gunite (concrete), and flagstones at the edge. Noticed the gap between the bricks/pavers and the flagstones are widening and the gaps are showing in the photo attached.

Any idea on how to fix this gap? Just a mater of removing this old materials there (rubbery to the touch), and refill with new materials? What is this material?

Thanks!
Remove all the existing rubber (silicone). Depending on how deep the gap is, probably need to put some backer rod in the gap and then apply silicone and pour a colored sand to match existing surfaces. Let dry and sweep up remaining sand.

Deck-O-Seal.

Rocket J Squirrel, you provided two links. Do I need products of both links, or either of the two? What are the differences between the two?

The gap I have is a little wider/deeper than 1" in some sections. If I remove loose dirty, it might be even larger. What do I need to do to fill/minimize the gaps before using Deck-O-Seal?

I first posted the generic Deck-O-Seal link, then realized there was a better link pointing directly to the SL self-leveling product. I'm not an expert, but I believe the SL product is what you want. You will have to scrape out old mastic before installing the new. I'm not sure what to do about a > 1" gap, but the SL web page has a table showing it covering 1" gaps. Maybe someone with more experience with this will chime in.

Scroll down to where it says "Priming" and they recommend a product for > 1" gaps.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.