How to know if I am paying fair prices?

wakasm

Jul 6, 2018
Somewhere East Coast
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I bought a house with a pool last year, thanks to this site, I've been able to maintain a lot of stuff on my own.

I currently only pay a pool company to open and close my pool (something I hope to do myself in future years), but I recently had my pool pump die, and am using the same company to potentially replace the pump, and despite watching 20 DYI youtube videos on the subject... I feel that replacing it myself might be above my skillset. However, the price I was quoted... seems... too high? ($2500 to upgrade current 1HS Hayward pump to a VS pump of any recommended manufacturer). $2800 in total if you include the fee for just coming to confirm my pump was dead (despite the fact I knew it was before they came).

So far, all I have done is told them that I have to think about it, but the overall quote seems to be about 2.5x the amount of the price of the pump itself (going by internet prices, they don't have a storefront so I don't know what they charge retail for these pumps themselves, but I assume there is also a markup).

I noticed this company charges me for any visit, and I also get a surcharge due to the distance (they are about 30 minutes away so I pay extra).

When I google what installation should cost, I see estimated that Labor should be around $600-$800, which also seems fair since it's just a replacement, which I assume should be about 2-5 hours of work. To my knowledge, the work that is needed is to cut some pipes, hook and seal the pump up. rewire, test, and check for leakage. Before getting the Estimate, I was guessing about a $1500-$1800 estimate, which I would probably not have bat an eye at. I wish I was more confident in trying this myself, but I just had a baby, work full time, so I don't mind paying for the labor as long as it's a fair cost.

Opening and closing already cost about $1000-$1200+ for the year.

I live in NJ if this helps.

The company has been nice and responsive otherwise, so my goal is to not complain as much as to understand if I am just grossly overpaying, or if I should settle in and just realize that these are the prices, or should I be always getting multiple quotes, or are these companies expecting haggling?

The only way to know if you are overpaying is to get more quotes. Stuff like this is very location specific. For me I would do it all myself but I am comfortable around plumbing and electric.

Also you are wasting your money having them open the pool. It is fairly simple to open. I pay the minimum for my pool shop to close, $350 since they blow all the lines out and water lock the drains and put all the anti-freeze in plus guarantee against damage. But I open myself it takes me like an hour.

Also you are wasting your money having them open the pool. It is fairly simple to open. I pay the minimum for my pool shop to close, $350 since they blow all the lines out and water lock the drains and put all the anti-freeze in plus guarantee against damage. But I open myself it takes me like an hour.

My goal is to do the open myself either next summer, or the summer after. This was my first year with a pool ever, so I've had to do a lot of learning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.