How to insulate Plumbing for winter pool use?

johnkim2020

Aug 2, 2020
Canada
My trench for plumbing is still open so I'm thinking maybe I should add some insulation if I intend to use the pool in winter.

I'm in Ontario, Canada so similar weather to NY.

The trench for my plumbing is only 2' deep so not under frost line but will it still help if I XPS rigid insulation around the pipes?

I looked up XPS and it doesn't seem to absorb water. It is not perfect insulation but still better than nothing?

Never gonna happen in your climate. You would need to enclose the pool in a conditioned space to achieve this. I recommend NOT insulating your pipes. Theres more risk of settlement amd issues down the road and its completely unnecessary. The earth is a great natural insulator on its own

Every trench better be 4-5’ deep, every pipe wrapped in insulating foam with 1’ of gravel under it, then back filled with gravel. Then you need to insure you are running your gas heater 24/7. If that heater croaks you have 24-36 hours before trouble happens. Lots of resort pools up here that stay open year round. Big bucks to maintain 80 degrees when it’s -10 out.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.