How to Get Ahead of Pool "Accidents"?

Jun 30, 2018
Willco IL
I'm a newbie pool owner, and I am just getting a hand on keeping my my water crystal clear with balanced chemicals...

but this weekend I have family staying with us for the weekend with two little ones - I KNOW both will have accidents in the pool (and I know I won't be informed of them).

Is there something I should do before they come? Or should I just overdose my pool with chlorine at night when everyone is in bed?

I'm a newbie pool owner, and I am just getting a hand on keeping my my water crystal clear with balanced chemicals...

but this weekend I have family staying with us for the weekend with two little ones - I KNOW both will have accidents in the pool (and I know I won't be informed of them).

Is there something I should do before they come? Or should I just overdose my pool with chlorine at night when everyone is in bed?

Just talk to the kids and let them know that they can swim as long as they go to the bathroom first. If they need to go to the bathroom when they are in the pool, just lead them towards the grass. I am not sure how young they are, but I have had pretty good luck with these methods. Unless the child is 2 or younger, not sure?

Its just pee.....:D Chlorine will take care of it. I elevate levels before any pool party regardless of the age of the swimmers, and take to SLAM levels in the evening after everyone has left.

In the six weeks I have had my new pool opened, I think my wife has had friends and family over to swim at least 15-20 times now. We've had 1 year olds, 5 year olds, pre-teens, 20-somethings and old folks like me swimming for 4-5 hours at a time.

After testing and re-testing and re-testing, I'm beginning to adopt Jim's advice and just raising the FC to SLAM levels after everybody is gone and call it a day.

Wonder if the plastic diaper pant would hold in the #2 (dappi waterproof pant on Amazon). They're tight around the legs and waist. I too use a kiddie pool for the young ones so they can play in the water and accidents are easy to clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep your FC towards the higher side of the target amount for your pool and then when they leave, add even a little bit more in.

Pee is pee... that shouldn't hurt too much. Its the # 2's that are going to be an issue. However, all you can do is see how your pool
reacts to an overnight chlorine loss test. That will tell you if there are unwanted nasties in the water or not.

As any medical professional will point out, healthy urine is sterile. You wouldn't WANT to swim in it but other than the gross-out component, there's no health risk. Anyone who's been to a public pool has been in far worse water. In your 13,500 gallon pool a 3 and 6 year old can pee all day long and it's nothing a little chlorine can't resolve.

As any medical professional will point out, healthy urine is sterile. You wouldn't WANT to swim in it but other than the gross-out component, there's no health risk. Anyone who's been to a public pool has been in far worse water. In your 13,500 gallon pool a 3 and 6 year old can pee all day long and it's nothing a little chlorine can't resolve.

it isnt really sterile - thats urban legend.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turns-out-urine-isnt-actually-sterile-180954809/

But birds poop and pee in your pool all day, bugs and other animals die in it

Just keep the FC level up and you will be fine

they make " swim diapers " they work pretty well

I have 4 G kids 6 months to 6 years
I usually just pour in a half gallon of bleach before and depending, another half after.

I also scuba dive and i KNOW the ocean is MUCH dirtier than my pool and I stay submerged for 8 hours a day some days ...

I’m guessing that some of you aren’t parents. If my son pees in the chlorinated pool while we are swimming together, that will be one of the less disgusting bodily fluid transfers.

Its just pee, chorine will oxidize it.

It’ll oxidize poop too. :D

With some of the swamp to crystal transformations I’ve seen here, there’s literally nothing that I’m worried about getting in my pool. As long as it doesn’t trash my liner, chlorine will get it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.