How to fix broken refill water line

Jul 26, 2016
Little Elm, TX
My pool has a water leveler float valve that's supplied by a 1" diameter white hose that attaches to the outdoor hydrant and goes down into the cement and to the pool. The hose has been disintegrating and recently broke. Does anyone know what kind of hose that is and how to repair/replace it - given that it goes into the cement?

Attachments

• 2018-06-27 11.16.59.jpg
    2018-06-27 11.16.59.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 57
What Pat said but make sure you get schd 40 PVC fittings. DWV fittings don't have enough socket depth for the glue to properly grab the flex hose. The fitting that connects to your hose bib is just a regular PVC fitting.

Flex hose and all PVC for that matter does not hold up well when exposed to UV light from the sun. A simple layer of paint or tape will add years to the life of an any PVC exposed to the sun.

No good way to do anything about the part in concrete but it should be good for a long time. If you want to get rid of the exposed bits carefully measure and cut the flexhose close enough to the concrete that when you glue the fitting on the stub it fits tight to the concrete leaving none of the flexhose exposed. The use regular PVC to transition to something to connect to your hose fitting. Either a short length of garden hose or a washer hose. Something that can handle being exposed outdoors.

Paint any exposed PVC to protect it from the sun. Pretty much any paint will work.

I would also do something to anchor that stub to the wall behind it so that the flex pipe doesn't break at the surface of the concrete.

Just wondering is this type of sloppy worksmanship common or did I get a house with an especially bad pool builder

No good way to do anything about the part in concrete but it should be good for a long time. If you want to get rid of the exposed bits carefully measure and cut the flexhose close enough to the concrete that when you glue the fitting on the stub it fits tight to the concrete leaving none of the flexhose exposed. The use regular PVC to transition to something to connect to your hose fitting. Either a short length of garden hose or a washer hose. Something that can handle being exposed outdoors.

Paint any exposed PVC to protect it from the sun. Pretty much any paint will work.

I would also do something to anchor that stub to the wall behind it so that the flex pipe doesn't break at the surface of the concrete.

Was the pool there when you bought the house, because honestly that looks like a diy or retrofit installation. From what I understand a line would be tapped off the main water supply and the plumbing would be buried.

The pool came with the house. Pool was built in 2014 and I bought the house in 2016. I'm pretty sure that was done by the pool builder due to the way the line goes into the concrete

Was the pool there when you bought the house, because honestly that looks like a diy or retrofit installation. From what I understand a line would be tapped off the main water supply and the plumbing would be buried.

What Pat said but make sure you get schd 40 PVC fittings. DWV fittings don't have enough socket depth for the glue to properly grab the flex hose. The fitting that connects to your hose bib is just a regular PVC fitting.

Flex hose and all PVC for that matter does not hold up well when exposed to UV light from the sun. A simple layer of paint or tape will add years to the life of an any PVC exposed to the sun.

The closer you cut to concrete, the less service factor you will have in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still trying to figure out how to fix this. I had an irrigation company take a look at it because I figured fixing it would be very similar to working with any other outdoor water pipe but they said the adapters they have won't necessarily fit that kind of pipe and they also don't know what kind of pipe glue (or whatever it's called) to join to that thing that wouldn't melt or ruin it. There is some kind of gray pipe glue visible at the top but he didn't know what that is.

Can someone please recommend the right kind of fitting that would easily attach to that pipe, either a glued fitting or push/compression fitting if one exists. If I had to glue it, what kind of glue(s) do I use?

The closer you cut to concrete, the less service factor you will have in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.