How to First Start Your Gunite Pool

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
ok... if you thought I was going to tell you how to do this... you were wrong.

I'm still in the build process, and I'm thinking that if my PB is as involved and detailed in my start-up phase as he has been during the rest of the build, I might be in trouble.

So for you knowledgable folks out there, could you give us some Guidelines, no liability involved... (we get what we pay for)... Guidelines on what should happen from the time the plaster gets applied up until "normal" operation.

When to brush first?
What kind of brush is ok?
What chems to add first?
When to add salt (for those prone to do so)?

On another site right now, I see someone who had their plaster applied, filled with water, and PB said he'd be back Monday to finish equipment... or something like that.... and they're concerned about what, if anything, should be done in the meantime.

I'm hoping to be ahead of the game, just in case I ever happen to get plaster.

I know this is the PB's responsibilty to inform here, but I'd like to have some knowledge going in...

THANKS!!!

Steve

I can tell you what I did for my pool and it worked out pretty well. After plaster, I filled the pool, added acid to bring the PH down to about 6.8, added chlorine to about 2 ppm and started brushing 3-4 times a day. I kept the PH low until all of the dust was gone, about 7 days, then let it rise to 7.5 on it's own. I added salt after 30 days. The surface is now very smooth which I attribute to the low PH and brushing.

Steve,
I've attached the Diamond Brite installation manual (if that doesn't work go here, then to the technical support tab at the top, Pool Finishes Installation Manuals, Diamond Brite). It has the startup procedures and initial/follow-on water chemistry requirements.

Attachments

• installationmanual-DiamondBrite[1].pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 16
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.