How to eliminate metal

Mmsilva

Jun 26, 2021
Marlboro, NJ
I am a new pool owner and I have been having issues with metal. We noticed brown staining on all the white parts of our pool two weeks ago. We brought the water to Leslie’a to get tested and copper was .5 and iron was .2. So both were on the high side. They gave us No Metal plus a Stain Remover. On the stain remover is says to add it for an hour and then add the metal remover. And then run the filter for 24 hours. However, do I need the stain remover? Will the no metal also lift the stains? Do I have to run the filter for 24 hours? We were actually on vacation and some of the staining has gone away but not all. I have a 25k gallon vinyl in ground pool with a super old cartridge filter (no DE). Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So let's clear up a few things about metals:
- Iron usually comes from a well. Iron can sometimes be filtered out to a point where it doesn't get effected by the chlorine.
- Copper doesn't get filtered out. Copper is most commonly added to water by pool store products that we at TFP never recommend and/or from mineral sanitizing systems (i.e. Frog). The only way to remove copper is by exchanging water, something the pool store or pool salesman doesn't tell you when selling those products.

Now that you have that basic info, it would appear copper is your biggest challenge right now and to lower the 0.5 level you'll need to exchange some water. Two other things very important for you are to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info, and also be sure you are testing your own water with either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. We can only give you good advice from one of those kits. They are reliable and user friendly.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So let's clear up a few things about metals:
- Iron usually comes from a well. Iron can sometimes be filtered out to a point where it doesn't get effected by the chlorine.
- Copper doesn't get filtered out. Copper is most commonly added to water by pool store products that we at TFP never recommend and/or from mineral sanitizing systems (i.e. Frog). The only way to remove copper is by exchanging water, something the pool store or pool salesman doesn't tell you when selling those products.

Now that you have that basic info, it would appear copper is your biggest challenge right now and to lower the 0.5 level you'll need to exchange some water. Two other things very important for you are to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info, and also be sure you are testing your own water with either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. We can only give you good advice from one of those kits. They are reliable and user friendly.

Thank you so much! Yes, we were not told that. And by exchanged, you mean to drain and refill?
Does the staining eliminate itself with the elimination of the copper?

What you'll want to do is an Ascorbic Acid treatment to first remove the staining from the pool surfaces. That will put the metals in solution (water) form. Then you can exchange water to a safe level which will remove the metal water. Safe depends on your pool type, so when you get to your signature we'll know more. But even if you only replaced 50% of your water that should help tremendously.

If you were using copper sanitizers, you can pull the mineral packs and start using liquid chlorine or regular bleach to increase and maintain the proper FC level as required after the exchange. Below is some helpful info about an Ascorbic Acid treatment.

What you'll want to do is an Ascorbic Acid treatment to first remove the staining from the pool surfaces. That will put the metals in solution (water) form. Then you can exchange water to a safe level which will remove the metal water. Safe depends on your pool type, so when you get to your signature we'll know more. But even if you only replaced 50% of your water that should help tremendously.

If you were using copper sanitizers, you can pull the mineral packs and start using liquid chlorine or regular bleach to increase and maintain the proper FC level as required after the exchange. Below is some helpful info about an Ascorbic Acid treatment.

That link is great. Thank you.
25kgal,

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.