How to correctly calculate pool volume for above ground?

georgiadawg

Jul 15, 2014
Eastanollee GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I know this seems like a ridiculous question, but when I am calculating pool volume for the purposes of adding salt/bleach/etc., do the calculators take into consideration the actual usable volume or does the calculator simply give you a full capacity volume? For example, my pool is 24'x52". Of course, it isn't actually filled to 52" depth because that isn't practical or usable. When I enter 24' and 52" for my dimensions, does it give me THAT volume or does it give me the volume we actually have IN the pool? Because when filled to the fill line, the depth of water is actually above 46". Or should I just put in 46 inches for my depth when I calculate it?

Thanks! I hope I made sense.

Reactions: gws1968
Correct

Think of it this way. Your wall height is 52" - if you only fill the pool up with 12" of water, there are a lot less gallons of water in the pool than if filled all the way up. You need to know actual water quantity to know how much of a given chemical to add to reach a desired goal.

Use 46 inches or 3.8 feet, to get your "usable normal fill" gallons.

Another way to do it is to "round out" the math. Use 24 ft. round x 1 foot depth for simplicity........divide by 12 and you know much 1" of water is in gallons in your pool at any depth.

Reactions: georgiadawg
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.