Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
My booster pump died last year and I used that as an opportunity to upgrade to a robot (Dolphin). It does an amazing job so I’m ready to get rid of the dead booster pump and re-plumb the line as an additional return. I’d love some advice on the best way to accomplish this.

6E504C95-A203-4D2C-9E4C-B37C0122B33C.jpeg8B212F2C-C246-48F7-BE45-5006FF429194.jpeg

I would convert it to a suction port for a dedicated vacuuming line and, eventually, a suction side cleaner. Robots die very quickly (lately) so figure 3-5 years before your Dolphin is toast. Replacing it will be the only option because repairs are really not cost effective. It will cost in the ballpark of $1000 to buy new. You might find that a bit too much to stomach and you might want other options. Suction side cleaners are a possibility that utilize the already running pool pump to drive a cleaner. They can be automated in some instances. Even if you never use a suction cleaner, having a dedicated vacuum port makes manual vacuuming a synch.

Or you can run another return line.

I’d create a dedicated vacuum port.

Reactions: PaigeMark
To convert the cleaner port to a return, simply bypass the booster pump. The easiest way, although perhaps not the most permanent, is to replace the pump and the two old hoses with a single new hose. When I did it, one of my old hoses happened to be long enough, so I didn't even have to buy a new hose:

Booster Pump Bypass.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.