Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2015
White Plains, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
With everything in the pool running smoothly (fingers crossed, knock on wood, prayers to pool gods, kudos to TFP...) my attention is now turned to my concrete pool deck. Over the past winters it had become stained from the elements which leaves a clear outline where the edge of the pool cover and anchor straps were positioned (see pic). I've power washed the deck, and while that got rid of most of the dirt and debris, the stains remain. Any suggestions on how best to clean the deck?

I'm hesitant to get too aggressive with some of the available concrete cleaners as I'm concerned about any possible overspray or washout that could end up in the pool itself.

Attachments

• Pool deck.jpg
    Pool deck.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: GSD_fanatic
I have the same outline from the winter cover on my concrete deck. Nothing I've tried will remove it. Though, by the end of the season it usually lightens up a bit. My guess?? is its caused by out gassing of chlorine from under the cover. I don't particularly care for using the pressure washer as it can roughen up the concrete if you're not careful. I like that attachment that cowboycasey posted a link to. May pick one up for future use.

As for cleaning the concrete, try spraying undiluted chlorine on it. I know some folks in Florida that told me they clean their concrete by spraying chlorine on it and letting it sit. Don't scrub it or rinse it off, just let mother nature do her thing. Try and get a full day for it to dry before it rains on it. It worked so well around my pool, I did the concrete porch and sidewalk in front of my house...north facing and the concrete was turning brown/black. The concrete came out looking like brand new. Just be careful with the runoff around grass...it'll burn it. What little did bleach out, came back in about a month later though. Just be sure you use the correct sprayer to apply. The undiluted chlorine is too strong for a regular sprayer. I used 12.5% chlorine and applied it with this sprayer from amazon. It holds 4 gallons, but I wouldn't advise to carry it as a backpack, it has a handle you can carry it with instead.

I have one of these types and it will clean like no other just using water.. :)

Thanks CowbyCasey for the suggestion. I assume from your comments that it's worked well for you, but the reviews posted on Amazon are not good. I may research for a different make/model and see how it goes.

I have the same outline from the winter cover on my concrete deck. Nothing I've tried will remove it. Though, by the end of the season it usually lightens up a bit. My guess?? is its caused by out gassing of chlorine from under the cover. I don't particularly care for using the pressure washer as it can roughen up the concrete if you're not careful. I like that attachment that cowboycasey posted a link to. May pick one up for future use.

As for cleaning the concrete, try spraying undiluted chlorine on it. I know some folks in Florida that told me they clean their concrete by spraying chlorine on it and letting it sit. Don't scrub it or rinse it off, just let mother nature do her thing. Try and get a full day for it to dry before it rains on it. It worked so well around my pool, I did the concrete porch and sidewalk in front of my house...north facing and the concrete was turning brown/black. The concrete came out looking like brand new. Just be careful with the runoff around grass...it'll burn it. What little did bleach out, came back in about a month later though. Just be sure you use the correct sprayer to apply. The undiluted chlorine is too strong for a regular sprayer. I used 12.5% chlorine and applied it with this sprayer from amazon. It holds 4 gallons, but I wouldn't advise to carry it as a backpack, it has a handle you can carry it with instead.
Thanks for the tip. I'll certainly give it a try on a sample area and hope for the same results you experienced. (Not sure how 12.5% chlorine is considered "undiluted", but I get your gist.:unsure:

Thanks CowbyCasey for the suggestion. I assume from your comments that it's worked well for you, but the reviews posted on Amazon are not good. I may research for a different make/model and see how it goes.
the one I had worked great.. That was like 7 years ago so that one is no longer... Most of the time they do not work is from a low power pressure washer.. you need a 2500 to 3200 psi one, I think mine is 2500 :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll certainly give it a try on a sample area and hope for the same results you experienced. (Not sure how 12.5% chlorine is considered "undiluted", but I get your gist.:unsure:
I should have said use the 12.5% straight from the jug, don't dilute it with water.

We use a 3200 psi gas power washer. This year I picked up a surface cleaner on sale but we won't end up using it until next spring. One thing I've read is when you use a surface cleaner attachment, you should move very slowly with it. Don't know why, but it's said it makes the outcome better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.