How to choose pump settings?

czipper

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
I got a new pump, Pentair Intelliflo VSF, up from a Superflo VS. The Superflo died after only 6 years. I used to run it at second highest speed for about 8 hours a day, which gave me the best skimming. I had it off the rest of the time, since I found no real advantage to a low speed. Anyway, with the new pump I realized I could control flow rates rather than pump speed, so I looked into my setup for what should limit my flow rate. Since I have single 1.5 inch piping into and out of the pump and filter, It looks like my 1.5 inch piping should the limit to flow rate at 45 GPM, which doesn't actually max out the pump speed at all (so was I overworking my Superflo for 6 years??). But if I run the pump higher GPMs, the returns do flow faster, leading me to this question. Is 45 GPM really the max flow rate for my 1.5 inch piping, and if not how should I choose the max flow rate? 45 GPM gives me a good turnover of the water, and decent skimming but to get better skimming I would go higher if I was convinced it was safe.
Is it safe to go higher? Am I thinking about this properly, or am I over thinking this. I'd really appreciate any thoughts you could contribute.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.