How to check and see if main drain is working?

Sdonaldson327

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
Knoxville
Hello everyone,

After having my pool sand blasted and getting aquabrite finish put on, the guys that did the aquabrite finish told me that when they did their work, they found the entire main drain filled with sand from the sandblasting guys. They told me that they shop vac’d everything that they could reach but to monitor it to make sure there weren’t any issues.

My MD is plumbed to the skimmer and then onto the pump. There is only one pipe coming out of the concrete going into the pump and there are no valves on this.

How can I test to make sure that the MD is working properly?

Thanks

The pic shows how everything is plumbed at the pump.

Attachments

• FF41152E-8D6E-4859-8528-C069375AA444.jpeg
    FF41152E-8D6E-4859-8528-C069375AA444.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 8
Plugging it won't do anything. Without a float diverter, there is less resistance to pull the water from the skimmer than the floor, so you are not currently pulling anything from the floor.

Bring a garden hose and some food coloring to the skimmer. Put some coloring down the main drain pipe, then force it through with the hose. If the color comes out the drain, you have flow.

Bring a garden hose and some food coloring to the skimmer. Put some coloring down the main drain pipe, then force it through with the hose. If the color comes out the drain, you have flow.

Okay, let me see if I understand what your saying correctly.

I should put some food coloring into the front hole of the skimmer and then run a garden hose down the front hole of the skimmer to force it down into the MD line and the if I see the food coloring come out of the MD in the bottom of the pool, then I’m good?

Do i force it by blowing on it or hooking up a compressor? Also, I assume that you do this test with the pump off?

Sorry I sound ignorant, this is my first time dealing with an issue like this and want to make sure I’ve got a good handle on what you’re saying.

Thanks

A drain king rubber bladder would be ideal, but just wrapping the hose with a towel so it seals around the drain line should be good enough. I'd start by just trying to force water down the line, no food coloring.

Yes, pump off. Have a helper standing by to turn on the hose. Wrap a rag around the hose, stuff if down the line. press the rag securely and call out to the helper to let 'er rip.

You might just see a plume of fine silt blowing upwards, which will tell you all you need to know. If not, then try some food coloring. It'll probably tint your hand. It won't permanently stain the pool. Bleach will take care of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.