How to cap off bromine feeder tube?

agaeto

Apr 26, 2020
Albuquerque
Hi. I am learning how to open my pool myself for the first time ever. I realized today that since I am no longer going to be using the automatic bromine tablet feeder, I may need to cap these tube openings off. There are 2 ports in 2 separate places that the bromine feeder tubes went into. They both seem to be the same size. Would anyone know what type of cap I would need to put over these to cover them? Or is that the correct thing to do when switching to liquid chlorine instead of the tabs? Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9853.jpeg
    IMG_9853.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 5
The plumbing problem I can't say.... too small a pic. Can you just cut it out of there and replace with fresh pool PVC pipe?

So I take it your pool is filled with bromine water? You're going to drain it so you can go chlorine, right? Otherwise I believe all the chlorine you add is just going to re-activate all that bromide.

Whats your plan, friend? A chlorine pool will be so much easier to manage, IMO. You'll save a ton too, I think?

Maddie :flower:

Maybe bromine is the wrong word. I will attach another photo of the feeder tube. The label on it says "Chlorine/ bromine feeder". Last year I used the 3 inch white tablets from Costco to chlorinate my pool. Now I no longer want to do that after reading this website and I am planning on switching to liquid chlorine. I am just worried that the PVC pipes are going to leak at the spots where the feeder tubes went in so that was why I was wondering about how to cap them off. Replacing plumbing is not an option for me because I don't think I could do that myself and I am trying to do all of this myself.

Attachments

• IMG_9854.jpeg
    IMG_9854.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 8
Ahhhhh! You've got a Rainbow type chlorine puck feeder there. I got worried you had a real bromide pool and well that....no bueno!
If you put the line back into the PVC and then just leave it empty and set the dial to wide open. Water going thru it won't hurt anything. Just make sure it *is* empty of pucks.
A lot of folks have those and during vacations away from home they use pucks again for short term care. Its okay.

Those weren't the dreaded Clorox XtraBlue pucks that Costco sells...were they?
Am I sounding like a total Debby Downer? LOL. I'm sorry if it sounds that way but my intentions are good. I want you to have a lovely clear, safe pool. Honest!!

Maddie :flower:

Well that is great news! Thank you. I gave the almost full box of pucks to my neighbor yesterday and it was the Clorox XtraBlue brand. Why? I haven't started the opening of the pool yet or testing the water but I am planning on doing that soon once everything arrives here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.