How should I add waterproof temp sensors to pool plumbing??

I've just spent a few hours rigging up some waterproof DS18B20 temp sensors to a raspberry pi I had sitting around and now I have it connected and sending data to my SmartThings account. Pretty cool!

6ccf65c78fd500b85135f167749eee58.jpg

Problem is these temps are actually just in my office... not sure how to actually tap into my plumbing without screwing something up. Anyone have experience with this?

My Google skills have only turned up someone who did this using a 3-D printer, but that's not an option for me.

https://www.hackster.io/mmackes/pool-controller-8dfa69

I was taking a look at my plumbing this morning and I noticed a couple of options that could work...

This hose is taking air from the top of my filter canister and injecting it into the return. Looks like there's a seat washer that's held in place by a clamp. Anyone know where to buy something like this?
767f8362a7fa36230824f365817a5a4f.jpg

Or this is like a threaded T piece from my intelliPh system clamped on to the return. I guess this could work also if I can find a way to put the temp sensor into a half-inch male threaded piece.
0d76f2c505548a2c7a0e7d35116198ee.jpg

Just curious if anyone has ideas. I can see adding a pH sensor and/or an ORP sensor down the line to possibly help fine-tune the chemicals with alerts or notifications. Just having fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayward, Pentair and Jandy all sell 10k thermistors made to mount inline.

You have to make sure that they will work with your equipment.

Hayward / Goldline GLX-PC-12-KIT Temperature Sensor Kit includes 15 foot leads and a hose clamp. This kit requires a 5/16 inch hole for the sensor

Pentair 520272. Jandy 7786.

Sensor comes with oring. Drill hole, insert probe, clamp in place.

You could also use a bulb well to insert your current sensors. Bulb well threads in and bulb goes inside.

Probably have to use a T and reducers to have somewhere to insert the bulb well.

Saddle tees and Clamp-It saddles

You can use a saddle fitting to create a place to install a bulb well.

Thanks James! I'll be looking into these options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.