How often should I have to backwash my pool??

Shawnob915

May 17, 2021
Boston
My pool has not been open since 2019. I just moved into the house last fall and I am beginning the process of opening the pool. I have a DE filter. Trying to open my pool has been a disaster because when I try to run my pump for more than a few hours it build pressure and will not push water out of the Jets. This has been an ongoing process for about a week and a half. The pool was very dirty to start but is starting to really clean up. But still I cannot run my pump for more than five or six hours straight without having no or very minimal water blowing out of my jet. Once I backwash the filter it runs excellent. But within a few hours the pressure builds up and a couple hours from then loses water to the jet. I have taken the grid out over the winter and rinsed them down really good and recently have taken the manifold out and rinsed them again. And again once I put them back and add the DE the filter runs excellent. Not sure why I have to keep back washing it so often and wonder if I should replace the grids or replace the whole filter? I don’t have the time or patience to backwash as much as needed

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Normally we backwash when the pressure increases by about 25% from clean pressure. But what you are describing is perfectly understandable. You have algae and it's clogging-up that DE filter quickly. But remember, live algae is not removed by filter, it has to be killed by the proper amount of chlorine. That's where the SLAM Process and proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) come into play. Very important. With the right test kit, you can maintain the proper "SLAM FC level" (based on your CYA), also see FC/CYA Levels, to kill the algae. During the SLAM Process, some DE owners find it better to run the filter on recirculate for a while to reduce the backwash intervals. Look those links over and let us know if you have any questions.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You have discovered the best and worst thing about DE filters. They offer the finest filtration, but when the pool is green they clog up fast! Once your pool is clear again you will not need to backwash nearly as often. Does your filter have a multiport valve or a push/pull valve?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You have discovered the best and worst thing about DE filters. They offer the finest filtration, but when the pool is green they clog up fast! Once your pool is clear again you will not need to backwash nearly as often. Does your filter have a multiport valve or a push/pull valve?
I pull a handle up and turn on pump to backwash. If I replaced the grids or filter which is old would it help? Or would it still have to be backwashed as much. I don’t have the time. I would want to change the whole filtration system if that’s the case

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Normally we backwash when the pressure increases by about 25% from clean pressure. But what you are describing is perfectly understandable. You have algae and it's clogging-up that DE filter quickly. But remember, live algae is not removed by filter, it has to be killed by the proper amount of chlorine. That's where the SLAM Process and proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) come into play. Very important. With the right test kit, you can maintain the proper "SLAM FC level" (based on your CYA), also see FC/CYA Levels, to kill the algae. During the SLAM Process, some DE owners find it better to run the filter on recirculate for a while to reduce the backwash intervals. Look those links over and let us know if you have any questions.

If I change the grids or the filter which is very old would that keep me from backwashing as much. Again if every year I need to backwash the DE filter like this I would look to change the whole filtration system to something different

If I replaced the grids or filter which is old would it help? Or would it still have to be backwashed as much. I don’t have the time. I would want to change the whole filtration system if that’s the case
Won't help. Algae is a chemical problem and no amount of filtration (new or old) will kill & remove it. The SLAM Process is how we remove algae. The only way to speed-up that SLAM process is by exchanging a lot of water, but never all of it for pool stability.

Won't help. Algae is a chemical problem and no amount of filtration (new or old) will kill & remove it. The SLAM Process is how we remove algae. The only way to speed-up that SLAM process is by exchanging a lot of water, but never all of it for pool stability.
May be a stupid question but how do I slam the pool if I can’t run my filter for more than a couple hours at a time? It says it needs to run for 24 hours a day until the process is complete

May be a stupid question but how do I slam the pool if I can’t run my filter for more than a couple hours at a time?
If you only have a plunger (push/pull) valve for backwashing, you are forced to backwash more frequently. :( If you have a multiport valve, you can place it on "recirculate" during the early part of the SLAM Process.

With a push/pull type valve the only way to “bypass” the filter is to actually remove the filter elements.

Install a multiport.. that way you will get closed, recirc, filter, backwash and rinse positions , as well as the ability to pump and vaccum to waste. I honestly don't understand how anybody can deal with plumbing setups that don't have these options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.