How Often Do You Run your Vacuum?

Chevydue057

Jun 30, 2020
New Hampshire
I'm a new pool owner, and I kind of wanted to get an ideas of how often and for how long you all are running your vacuums. I do have an automatic vac, but I seem to have to run it every couple of days.

Just wanted sort of an informal tally or others and how often you run them.

I think it would depend a lot on trees and things around the pool. I have both a suction side and a pressure side cleaner, and one or the other seems to be in the pool every other day. My wife cannot tolerate leaves and such in the pool. But there are trees that overhang so there's always something in there.

We have lots of trees and shrubs around the pool, and there’s always lots of dead bugs each morning. I run the cleaner about 2hrs at least every other day.

I usually vacuum every morning, but I've been coping with an RA flare in my ankles, so I've only been vac'ing every other day. We have a big oak tree in the front yard that overhangs the pool some (it's in the sideyard) and drops leaves, catkins, and acorns in the pool, depending on the season. I'm like @rumcglot's wife, I can't stand trash in the pool!

I usually vacuum every morning, but I've been coping with an RA flare in my ankles, so I've only been vac'ing every other day. We have a big oak tree in the front yard that overhangs the pool some (it's in the sideyard) and drops leaves, catkins, and acorns in the pool, depending on the season. I'm like @rumcglot's wife, I can't stand trash in the pool!

Me either. I drag out the filter vac every Saturday morning, but I have been thinking of trying one of those cheap bagging vacs that hooks to a garden hose to snag the leaf or two that falls in everyday during the week.

My robot only comes out when we swim and then I put it back in at night. If we don’t swim it stays in the pool. I run mine daily and I don’t get a lot of debris in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have an older Kreepy Krawly suction vacuum, and it works great. I leave it connected all the time, and pull it out when we have a group of people over to swim. The pump runs for about 4 hours in the morning and about 1 hour in the evening. We do have a large tree on one side that covers a good portion of the pool and we also have some large Crepe Myrtles that drop a lot of stuff in the pool. I usually have to pull any big leaves out and brush the steps and corners where the vacuum won't go, but that only takes a few minutes when I check pool chemicals in the morning.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do have some tall trees about 40' from the pool, that could absolutely be dropping stuff in the pool. But I've found I have to run my robot once every 2 days, or I can see stuff accumulating in the pool. It seemed excessive, but I went swimming at a friends condo complex the other day, and by comparison, my water looks like Hawaii, there's looks like Boston Harbor.

I guess the robot running for 2/3 hours every couple of days (especially when the filter is running) isn't so bad.

I have a Polaris 280 that stays in pool 24/7. In summer it runs 45 mins in morning and 45 mins late afternoon. In fall, winter I adjust to longer run times based on how many leaves falling. Sometimes I need to change the net daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.